Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Fantastic New Study Proves Men Who Do Chores Are Happier - How do you manage household chores?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

Fantastic New Study Proves Men Who Do Chores Are Happier

Posted by Lindsay Mannering on June 28, 2012 

broomsWanna make a man happy? Hand him a broom. Cambridge University analyzed men from seven European countries and found that men who do chores are happier than those who don't. Yup. Those who pitch in around the house have a better work-life balance and an improved sense of self. Research expected to find that women were happier when their spouses did chores, but that wasn't the case -- their happiness did not increase or decrease based on the amount of household help.

So ONCE AGAIN, men get everything. They get to pee standing up, they don't bleed every month, and now they get to be HAPPY about housework. No fair.

But let's turn this frown upside down, shall we? To take advantage of the study, go ahead and start extolling the Cambridge virtues to that certain someone in your life who's still uncertain where the vacuum's kept. You're not telling him for your benefit, you're informing him for his benefit. How magnanimous of you.

The research goes on to say that the link between men's boost in well-being and cleaning is attributed to the fact that they'd rather do the household chores than hear about them. AKA, your nagging is the worst thing ever, and just cleaning the kitchen floor himself without having to listen to you go on and on about it is in itself a mood-boost.

Interesting.

So give your loved one the thrill of a lifetime tonight and let him clean up after dinner and dust the living room. It'll be his pleasure, I'm sure.

How do you manage household chores?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM

just emailed it to my hubby!

pinkcookie019
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I effing wish it worked like that! I read this to my husband and he said he'd be happier to die than help me with the housework, since that's my "only" job. Grrr.

ROBIN-C
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 2:49 AM

we dont live together fulltime just yet... but when he is here he does whatever needs to be done without me asking! he does the yardwork, he does dishes (loads/unloads dishwasher, hand washes what needs to be and puts away), sweeps, hand washes floor, does his laundry and towels (i have told him not to do mine and daughters clothes because i hang most of ous tops), like i said if it needs to be done he does it.

not only that he loves to cook and always asks what daughter and i want each meal.

AND he cleans up puke too!

he is a VERY happy person! he takes pride in helping because it allows us to have more fun time.

often on sat. mornings when i get up breakfast is made and kitchen is spotless!

a couple nights ago in car after leaving s/o's parents house daughter (8) asked if we are getting married soon. she went on to say "you will never find another man as wonderful as jared!" i and agree!

Rachy425
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Hmm..I think this was very cool. We (my hubby and I) tend to look at "chores" differently. We both live here, both dirty the house and both see it needs cleaning. We have 2 chhildren who are learning from our examples...wether they are good or bad. We both also give and take. I hate cleaning the shower, he hates doing the toilets-so we give each other a break. We both cannot stand doing dishes-so we do them together. I like to vaccuum, he doesn't miind taking out the trash.We also pay attention to how each others days have gone. and we just really have learned to give one another grace. We have a "to do" list and both work it out together. It makes the day faster and easier. And I think it's all on the perspective of the family/marriage. It took us a long-long-LONG time to get where we are. I have learned to appreciate everything he has helped me with and visa-versa. (it's just my thoughts)

ladybugHeart 2 Heart,

Rach

Rachy425
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I'm so sorry that was said to you. You did not deserve that. I was there in your shoes for a few years. It took a long time, a solid Christian man and children for my hubby to really get it. I will be praying for you, that things will get better for you in this area.

ladybugHeart 2 Heart,

Rach

2lilmamas
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:11 AM
Good thing he helps around the house. Willing without me asking him.
CameronsMommy23
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM
My husband always helps me around the house and with the kids. He's a great catch!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN