Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has counseling ever helped any of you?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am curious to know if anyone who has gone to counseling believes it helped you. My DH says anybody over a certain age knows that it is bs. I told him I want to go to better myself and in turn help us since things are bad. He says it saddens him because every time I go I am putting off taking personal responsibility and just doing what needs to be done. Also that I am just helping some a hole pay his mortgage and drive around a mercedes while he laughs about the nuts he listens to while paying for drinks at the bar. He says those people don't care, they are just there to make money and it is all based on Frued who was a coke head and had a thing for his mom. I am gullable enough and am wondering if I am not getting it like the rest of the adults??

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinyweenie4203
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM

YES!!!

MissFefe
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM
No Ur hubby is a jerk. Counselling works for people. Therapists aren't jerks like he's making them out to be. They are people who want to help others. People who want to help so much that they invested their time and money on an education dedicated to helping other people with their problems
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM
If it helps you then your husband should be supportive despite his personal opinion!! Has he had a bad experience with counseling in the past or does he just think that way without any reason to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Your dh needs a reality check! He probably says those things cuz HE doesnt want to go. It seems a lot of men have that attitude cuz God forbid they should go and feel feelings they dont want to feel. My dh wont go to marriage counseling with me but I go for myself, I have off and on for years. Ive been being treated for depression for 24 yrs. I feel so cleansed when I leave her office. Years ago dh went to marriage counseling with me 3 times and the 3rd time he cried and felt feelings that hurt and he never would go back again. But if you want to go and dh doesnt then you go alone. Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katemarie97
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I have been to three different therapists and until my third one I thought counseling was useless. The therapist I see now has truly helped me to turn my life around, she has totally helped my thought process which in return has changed my attitude for the better.

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM
It absolutely does help! You def have to find the right person you can connect with. You may go throw a couple before you find the one your comfortable with and click with. If you take it serious and your open and honest it will 100% work. I don't understand why people think its ridiculous to go. I think everyone should go, it's nice to be able to get things out that are bothering you. You feel refreshed when you leave. We know a very successful man that goes every Friday so he can let all his frustrations out from his week of work so that when he spends the weekend with his family he can enjoy it with out the stress from work and take it out in them. A lot more people should try doing it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indymom72
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM

YES...we are huge advocates for counseling!!  Don't listen to your husband...

Flaca43
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM
It does help if you get the right person and if you are honest and try. I went with my ex and it didn't work because he wasn't honest and blamed me for everything.

I went by myself later on to another place and it did help me a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM
It absolutely can help. It can be difficult to find the right counsellor for you, but I made great strides by working with someone.
biancalina20
by Bianca Lina on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Im sure it can help alot of couples IF you are willing to try.

I wasnt willing to try when I went to ONE class... I was hurting, upset and mad and well it didnt work because I was NOT willing and so I left. :-/ But that doesnt mean it wont work for you. It IS worth a try!

<3 my Daughter! <3 being a MOM!                                                      

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)