Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

My Husband, My Hero, Is Here for Me 'In Sickness' - Has your husband been your hero when you were sick?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

My Husband, My Hero, Is Here for Me 'In Sickness'

Posted by Joanna Montgomery on July 2, 2012

The producers of It's Cancer, Baby interviewed my husband, Mark as part of the series. However, I didn't see any part of his interview until this Episode, "In Sickness & In Health," aired on the CafeMom Studios YouTube Channel.

One of the things that was surprising for me to hear him say is that he considers me to be a hero of sorts. This is something he had never before shared with me. What's interesting about that is that I consider Mark to be one of my heroes. He inspires me every day, and even more so as I've witnessed him show up and be present for every part of my cancer treatment ... not an easy task sometimes.

I never thought Mark would be the nurturing type ... he didn't strike me as a caretaker. But in many ways, it turns out that he is. He also motivates me, calls me on my bullshit, and basically treats me the same as he did PC (pre-cancer). This combination of compassion, strength and practicality is exactly what I needed.

In the scene where Mark plays guitar for Maggie, I become a bit emotional. What you don't see is that she was very fussy before he started playing. However, once he pulled out the guitar and began playing a riff he had composed, she literally became mesmerized, holding out her arms and watching her father intently. 

Throughout my pregnancy and for virtually every day of  Maggie's life since her birth, music has been a part of her   day-to-day experience. She learned to be soothed by her father's guitar playing when she was still in the womb, and the calming influence of music hasn't changed. 

I hope it never does. 

Has your husband been your hero when you were sick?

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DarlaHood
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Yep!  He's a great caretaker.  Better than me actually.  He will do anything for me.  Sometimes he goes a little overboard.  But I am grateful!

CameronsMommy23
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM
My husband has taken care of me from my twin pregnancy nausea to migraines to a common cold. He's a wonderful caretaker!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jacobsmommy84
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM
My hubby plays the bad-ass card most of the time but oh my goodness, this last pregnancy? I was sick for weeks until my doctor gave me something to keep me from throwing up the whole time. My hubby was there the entire time... Took care of me, took care of the kids, took care of everything... And was so sweet and amazing.
I love and adore him so much:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beeky
by Alexandra on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

My husband has always taken very good care of me and my health has always been a priority to him.

Coincidentally, my husband's name is Mark.

Innocencedreams
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

That is amazing. 

Yes, my husband is my hero. I have never been truly physically ill, but when we first married, I was cutting and anorexic, with severe emotional issues, trust issues, and basically, no idea how to be a real human being, I'd spent my childhood just surviving. My husband loved me and cared for me, he didn't coddle me, though he did cuddle me often, but he was exactly what I needed. He was always there, and still is, through every breakdown, every crisis, every flu, and every pregnancy, and those have not been easy. I'm currently pregnant with twins, due in January, and I have HG, I'm losing weight like crazy, and I'm just not feeling good most of the time. But he's always there, no matter what, caring for me and just being amazing :)

deadlights86
by Emily on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM
yes we had only been together a few months and I started running a fever at work. I went and got my son from daycare and started home realized I wouldn't make it home I went to his house cause he was close. I literally passed out as soon as I got there until almost 11 he took care of my ds and let me sleep from 4-11.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM
I've never been so sick that I couldn't take care of myself, but DH is my hero because he is a great caretaker when the kids are sick...better than I am. When the kids throw up, I usually throw up right behind them...LOL! One time he stayed home with DS while I went to work. DS had explosive diarrhea and vomiting at the same time all over the bathroom. DH cleaned it all up. My hero!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJaiClark
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM

In our house I am typically the caretaker but when I am the one not feeling well you can really tell that it bothers DH. He will be in the bedroom checking on me over and over and asking me if I need anything and what can he do. It is very sweet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN