Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

He's not going anywhere, but if he did...

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM
  • 38 Replies
DH and I joke about our marriage being like the mafia (the only way out is in a pine box) and how seriously we take til death do us part (even if I gotta kill him myself).

The truth is, he could walk away. I've been homeless. I've been dependent on others. If he walks, I'll be fine...and he knows it. If he leaves I've got a plan in place. I know what I've got, what to get rid of, where to go and how to survive with just me and my kids. I've told him my plan and explained that it's not due to a lack of confidence in him. He understands and thinks more women should have a Plan B. He's glad to know that if I need to I can take care of myself and our kids. My plan was severely tested over the last 3 years as DH was un- or under-employeed. We survived!

Do you have a Plan B? If your SO or DH walked away could you physically and financially survive?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourpassion
by Kristen on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
I could. Dh and I talk about that. I think it's important. Not only can someone just walk away, they can pass at any time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Before we had our son who is now 20 months old, who is disabled I had been the bread winner and if I needed to get a job I could get one making decent money with my experience. With the things I have experience in. I could have a lot of different kind of jobs and do well on them. I run a in home day care right now and if DH lost his job I'd just need to take on another child to be able to pay our bills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM
True, but if DH passes a lot of couples could depend on life insurance to help or at least Social Security (as long as that lasts). I don't have life insurance for DH so if he died the one thing I probably couldn't (financially) do is cremate him.

Quoting yourpassion:

I could. Dh and I talk about that. I think it's important. Not only can someone just walk away, they can pass at any time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by Kristen on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM
True...we have life ins. but if he left I could support us. Although, I'd have to go back to a field I didn't want to make decent money.

Quoting Babujai:

True, but if DH passes a lot of couples could depend on life insurance to help or at least Social Security (as long as that lasts). I don't have life insurance for DH so if he died the one thing I probably couldn't (financially) do is cremate him.

Quoting yourpassion:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bubbie0809
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I could, it would take a little time b/c I have never lived w/o him as an adult. But I make my own money and could pay my own bills. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

We have life insurance.

If he were to just walk away, I have a huge family who would be there supporting me and helping me get back on my feet.

Momof5kids84
by Lauren on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM
No, I don't have a plan B. No matter what, divorce is not an option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I have no plan b. I would tank. I have been homeless before too. I would struggle if my dh died or something. I mean I have an education so it isn't like I couldn't get a job but I would be an emotional wreck. I told my husband if he died I would be forced to move back to the states with my son. He said that would make him really sad and he would rather my son be near his family. So I know if that happend I would try really hard to stay here but I just think it would be way too hard. In the states I know my way around I know the language I can get a job at the drop of a hat. Here I am still freaked out to drive lol and it is all so new. I don't know I always think I should have a plan b but I don't know what plan b would be or where to even begin.

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM
DH's parents didn't divorce, but his mother did walk away. She waited until DH (her youngest child) turned 18 then she bought a house and left her alcoholic husband to fend for himself. She doesn't believe in divorce, but she didn't believe in being miserable either.

Quoting Momof5kids84:

No, I don't have a plan B. No matter what, divorce is not an option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I jokingly say a rich guy is my plan B. Lol. But really, I'd go back to work and pay My grandma to nanny my kids. Itd suck, but its doable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)