Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wanna get married damn it! ;))

Posted by   + Show Post
Lol! I am 27 years old and mama to one of my own and caregiver/daddy's gf/ new mommy to 4 more. My bf and I have been together for a yr now, officially living together ( I gave up my apt finally) for a few months and I have been caring for his kids for most of that year, full time!
I've never been engaged, much less married before, in fact until this man, I had no desire to be any of that, including the domesticated house'wife' that I am now, (he calls me his domestic engineer) but I am HAPPY! Happier than Ive ever been and I want to get married!!
He, however has been married twice before, And I can't figure out if he's just gun shy or what... Our relationship is great, and for all intents and purposes we may as well be married. What's his is mine and what's mine is his... Kids included... And he's been dropping jokes about marriage for moths because he knows how I feel and loves to push my buttons but why doesn't he just ask me already?!?!?

He bought me a promise ring for this past Christmas... Fingers crossed I get an engagement ring this year!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Replies (11-18):
unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you should do more than cross your fingers.  I think this warrants a sit down conversation about goals and expectations.  

Fivekidscrazy
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:13 PM
10 years?!? Congrats but you're killing me! Lol I sure hope it doesn't take that long and honestly, most of the time I don't even think about it but then a situation arises where our lives would be easier if we were married, and then I get antsy! (like in a month he's going to be gone for almost 2 months and we have to have the lawyer draw up temp custody papers an have BM sign them and power of Atty paper work just so I can 'legally' do everything that I already do... Take Care of the kids, house, finances, etc. just in case something comes up and questions are asked- I have legal documentation. If we were married, we wouldn't need all that!)

Quoting katvixenstar:

I am starting to feel like i really want to be married too! :(

SO and i have been together for *almost* 10 years (the 24th of august it will be ten) and we have two kids together. Once in a while he will make an offhand remark about it, last time it was after he got one of his new tattoos, he said "when we get married we should just get rings tattooed on our fingers" (i bet it would be cheaper, lol)

But then we were at a family BBQ a few weeks ago,and he was talking to his older cousin, and they were talking about SO's parents, and he was saying how one reason he doesnt want to get married is cause of his mom (she denies it up and down, turns stories around, but she was the abuser in the marriage when she was married to SO's dad) and that kind of made me sad.

But you guys have only been together a little over a year, then i wouldnt push it too much, as long as he knows that you do want to get married sometime in the future :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fivekidscrazy
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM
We have had those conversations, many times and since early on in our relationship due to the fact that we both have kids, and situations were such that we could not avoid involving the kids in the early stages of our relationship. Our relationship is very solid :) not without bumps and bruises of course but we both know what we want--- difference is I'm a 'grab the bull by the horns' type and he's more 'one thing at a time'... He prefers to have all his ducks Ina row before he does anything (which is great! Except when one of those ducks is dealing with BM and all that entails and damned if that duck can't stay in line to save its own life!) :)) but I digress lol I know one reason
He hasn't asked is bc he believes he needs to ask my uncles (who is like my dad) permission and despite all my efforts I haven't been able to get them to meet in person yet.... However, this family Christmas, my uncle should be present so who knows!!!

Quoting unsuspected:

I think you should do more than cross your fingers.  I think this warrants a sit down conversation about goals and expectations.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

This. He is more than likely "gun shy" . I would just give it time :)

Quoting lanceandhailey:

You've only been together a year, give it time...

He's had two failed marriages already, I sure wouldn't expect him to jump into another one after only a year, and only living together a few months.

nicole2884
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM

if he is truly the one , then you should not mind waiting, dh an i were together 2.5 years before getting engaged an 4.4 before getting married , an during the process i was so ready to get married but now im glad that we waited so long, wish the engagment was shorter 

but every thing happens for a reason, an if he is the one its worth the wait 

jessiesgirl88
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
i know exactly how you feel ive been with my fiance for 4 years even though we're engaged we havent had the money to get married and im so excited and ready to be married were hoping to get married next year if things go how we plan good luck hope he pops the question soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fivekidscrazy
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM
I really don't mind waiting, I love the man, I'll wait as long as I have too, buuuuut that doesn't change the fact that I really really really want to! :))

Quoting nicole2884:

if he is truly the one , then you should not mind waiting, dh an i were together 2.5 years before getting engaged an 4.4 before getting married , an during the process i was so ready to get married but now im glad that we waited so long, wish the engagment was shorter 

but every thing happens for a reason, an if he is the one its worth the wait 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pearla8
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM
To me marriage can be over rated I've been with my s.o since I was 17, I'm 24 now and we have 2 boys, I used to want to be married to him so bad than I realized it would only be a piece of paper,nothing much would really change we have been living together for 5yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)