Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really that big of a mistake?

My DH and I married young. He was 19, I was still 18, and a month later, we found out I was pregnant. Of course, the two of us are happy and we really do love each other.

Now, though, almost two years later, my family, mostly my mom and my mawmaw, (my mom's mom) are saying that I made a mistake marrying so young. WTF? They were just fine with it when we got married, but NOW, after two years, it's a MISTAKE?

First off, we were living with his dad, and FIL told us we had to be married within a two-month time span, or I would have to leave. Reason: FIL was up for vote on the deacons board of his church, and couldn't have his son's girlfriend living in the house and not be married. To keep him from kicking me to the curb, DH agreed to us getting married.

Secondly, I DON 'T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!! My paternal grandmother was married at 15, so I think I'm doing pretty good compared to her! Why is it such a problem now? I mean, I can't be the only one who got married a few days before their 19th birthday.

Did I really make a big mistake, or are they just being bitches?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Replies (51-56):
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM

If you have a healthy and strong relationship, it doesn't matter what they think.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Ignore them. I think that's a pretty shitty thing to say and I could only understand them saying that if you were being abused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chloesmommy777
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Your Grandma sounds very immature for her age... I mean reallY? Is she jealous!? Try, try, try... as hard as it is... to take her you-know-what with a grain of salt... just nod and smile, live your blessed life and maybe take her aside and explain how her insults cause you pain mainly because they disappoint you about her behaviour. The same thing goes for your mom. This is your life, and if they want to be a part of it, they need to grow up and start dispensing kind words of wisdom over misjudging, hypocritical childish barbs. Period.

mollysmom212
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:39 AM

you do what`s right for you..age doesn`t matter....

Poohy1975
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

If you're happy in your marriage,ignore them.

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM

When I got married at 18 it was a huge mistake but that is NOT to say it is when someone else does it, if you both truly love one another and work thru your issues as a team and care about eachother and are happy and cant imagine being happy with someone else then you did NOT make a mistake. Many decades of happiness to both of you. HUGS

YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)