Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Taxes

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

So I am getting married in about 2 weeks and all of a sudden I am freaked out over taxes. I have to laugh at myself only because it's over taxes!!! LOL We won't file married, he owes money and I don't want to have to deal with that part. Is that mean? I was on my own for so long and I got all the tax credits which gave me the extra money to live through the year with my 3 kids. Now yes he does help he pays our rent and I do the rest. I have so much anxiety all of a sudden.

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MomToovey
by Marianne on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry momma. I can understand that being stressful, but you'll get through it! Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Thank you soooo much I really needed that, I really didn't want any negative feedback but you know how that goes... I know it's the jitters. LOL

babs61679
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM
You can still file together, but you'll need to file an "injured spouse" form ( I think that's what it's called). Which just means they can take his money for what he owes but not yours. I had to do that with my DH when we first got married too. He had past due CS. Congrats on getting married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH goodness thank you so much for this info. I looked and it says the innocent spouse... I feel sooo much better, so you got your money from taxes and you were fine?

Quoting mommyinthe303:

So I am getting married in about 2 weeks and all of a sudden I am freaked out over taxes. I have to laugh at myself only because it's over taxes!!! LOL We won't file married, he owes money and I don't want to have to deal with that part. Is that mean? I was on my own for so long and I got all the tax credits which gave me the extra money to live through the year with my 3 kids. Now yes he does help he pays our rent and I do the rest. I have so much anxiety all of a sudden.

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM

What kind of money does he owe? Only certain types of debts are able to take tax money. Also, depending on the state you are in, debt may not be your problem even if you do get married and file taxes together. Are you in a common law state? 

LilMamaK
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Me and my DH do the same thing! We file seperately. He owes money and I don't, and the process to file together when he owes money makes us ahve to wait almost a whole year to get our return. So, we file seperately.

*~*Wifey To Tommy(2.4.11), Mommy to Allyana(7.5.08), & Our angel baby Jovanny(3.6.10)*~*

mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

He owes back taxes. We are married now got married over the weekend. I guess we will make sure to talk it over with our tax person. I just hate losing out on the tax breaks... :(

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN