Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If divorce meant leaving your children, would you divorce?

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM
  • 242 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Would you divorce if you knew your spouse would gain full custody of the children? (no appeals, no visitation, no contact)

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 853

View Results

In Kenya there is a, let's say tradition, in one of their tribes that when husband and wife divorce, wife leaves the kids with the husband.  She does this because it is thought that it is easier for a man to find a woman that will care for his kids than it is for a woman to find a man for her and her kids.  I know that my husband would not accept me taking the children if we were ever, god forbid, to divorce and somehow I am ok with that, partially because I will never divorce him and partially because I do agree that it can be easier for a divorced father to find a woman than a divorced mother to find a man, especially if there are more than 2 kids involved.  What do you think?

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Devious333
by Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM
5 moms liked this
I don't know...I would fight for my kids though, I couldn't imagine not being with them everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM
8 moms liked this

No,nothing could make me leave my child unless I knew I myself were a danger to her.Especially if it were something like an abusive relationship,no way would I leave my child behind with that.

cherryblosso883
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Well i am thinking about divorce and I was dumb and I signed a paper (a regular peice of paper) stripping me of my rights to my child and it got noterized and I have no idea if it is valid or not and I will be asking soon. If it is valid I will get a place of my own get it set up and get food in the place become somewhat stable and then get custody of my son.

aimesnyc
by Amy on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM
5 moms liked this

Nope, there's no way you can take me away from my son.

pampire
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM
3 moms liked this

This is the only poll I've ever seen here with unanimous results.  We should get a prize!

Cara.MommyOf2
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. That's why I stayed married to him as long as I could. 

dragonfly06
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Was it filed with a court? How old is it? Did you sign it in front of a notary? Did you have a witness and if so, who? Did your witness also sign it?

Quoting cherryblosso883:

Well i am thinking about divorce and I was dumb and I signed a paper (a regular peice of paper) stripping me of my rights to my child and it got noterized and I have no idea if it is valid or not and I will be asking soon. If it is valid I will get a place of my own get it set up and get food in the place become somewhat stable and then get custody of my son.

cherryblosso883
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I signed it in front of a notary  and it was about 4 years ago. my husband signed it too and thats it

Quoting dragonfly06:

Was it filed with a court? How old is it? Did you sign it in front of a notary? Did you have a witness and if so, who? Did your witness also sign it?

Quoting cherryblosso883:

waitWHAT
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM
17 moms liked this
No.

But ask me again when my dd is a teenager.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonfly06
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I don't think it is valid/legal but you can ask any attorney for a free consultation in the state you live in and/or the state you signed that in (if it's different). They can't give you legal advice for free but they can explain to you the legality of the signed paper for free. I have another thought but it's not one that I want to share on a public forum.

Quoting cherryblosso883:

I signed it in front of a notary  and it was about 4 years ago. my husband signed it too and thats it

Quoting dragonfly06:

Quoting cherryblosso883:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)