Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Cheap/Fake Engagement Ring?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • 178 Replies
I have a 10 month old DD w my boyfriend of 4 years and we just recently found out we're expecting baby #2 in March! We've talked about getting married in the future but would like to wait until we have enough money to buy a house since my credit is awful and his is near perfect. My question is...he says he wants to wait to propose until he can afford a decent ring. I say I would love to just be engaged already especially with our second child on the way. I'm thinking just get a cheaper ring for now...a few hundred maybe, since w 2 babies under 2 come March, we need to be saving a ton of money.

All my friends say just get a fake, hell even go to Walmart and get a cheapy there! What's everyone think? I was hesitant to even post this. Hopefully no bashing please! I know it's not the classiest thing to do but we're Both ready to be engaged but thr cost of a ring is the only thing holding us back. What do You ladies think?!
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlbelknap35
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM
I don't see a problem with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fairywings1223
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM
19 moms liked this

It's not the cost of the ring that matters. It's the meaning of it and the commitment.

MamaNeeNee
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Fairywings1223:

It's not the cost of the ring that matters. It's the meaning of it and the commitment.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM
4 moms liked this

Actually Walmart has some beautiful (and inexpensive) rings.  I say GO FOR IT!  CONGRATS!

Babujai
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't need a ring to be engaged. I wore a fake one just to get guys to quit trying to talk to me on the bus, but the rest of the time my finger was naked. I had his promise and we were making plans...I was engaged. 2.5 years after we were married he had the money to get me a diamond ring and gave it to me for Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JRSMOM0621
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM
congrats! i married my husband with a fake ring. i think i'd prefer a fake one over real
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJHoward
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM
I think you should do what makes you happy, nobody needs to know its fake or cheap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Or go no ring. I didn't want one (not to mention im allergic to all jewlery) but I didn't need it to know that we were engaged and thatheloves me. we even got a cheep ring for the ceremony!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
16 moms liked this

I think its all a cop out.  If you are serious about being married go down to the damn courthouse and do it.  You dont even need a ring.  Have a huge second wedding on your 5 year anniversary. 

canog08
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM

its not the cost that matters but the meaning behind it... i remember tellin DF that i would settle for a box of ring pops if it held the same meaning as a couple hundred dollar ring :).. and if the cost is a problem have you ever considered suggesting him to get it from the pawn shop? I remember my DF getting my promise ring from the pawn shop cus it was all he could afford at that time ... he got something really nice and for a good price....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)