Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you think relationships where there is a significant age gap between partners can work?  Does age really matter if you have found your soul mate?

Chrissy, just a wife and just a mom!

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
maria1613
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
They can definitely work. My grandma was 20is when she married my grandpa, 4 kids together together until the day he passed away, she never remarried or anything. They were 20 yrs apart.

My SO and I have been together 3 years now and we're 20 yrs apart and we're doing great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM
No it shouldn't matter though I sometimes wonder how much these people with 20 year gaps find things in common but I'm sure they do. Iv stayed to a 2 yr rule even as a teen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meganisamom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Ive always dated older men. My hubby is 8 yrs older than me. I don't consider that a big gap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aksub
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM
There are only two years between my husband and I, but there is a huge age gap between our best couple friends, 24 years. They've need together for almost 10 years now and age isn't a problem at all for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I don't think age should be a problem. If the two people love each other and have things in common, then things can work.

ProudmommyJess
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM
10 years between us, but it feels like we are the same age. Unless we are talking about things from our childhood lol. But I have definitely found my soul mate, he was just born 10 years before me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I have known 5 couples with significant age gaps, 15+ years, males always older and none of them are still together. So IDK..... it does seem to take its toll as they get older, like when the men hit their 50s, 60s.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookworm14
by Mandy on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
This is how I feel. My boyfriend will turn 40 in Dec, has been married once before and has kids. He's done the partying thing, he's lived life. I don't feel like I need to compete with the bar scene, something I'm not interested in anyway. About the only scene I need to compete with, is the woods! He's an avid hunter. I'm 30, and not interested in the bar crowd myself!

Quoting TS9509:

My DH and I are 19 years apart. We've been together over 4 years an married for 3. We enjoy doing the same things and to me the age gap is great bc he is mature and settled and I don't have to worry about him wanting to go out and party every weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dany2010
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM

My hubby is 9 years older than i am. He is 31 and i am 23 and eventhough we are madly in love and we have worked through our differences there are some ares where age does become a problem, which i never though it would when we were dating. for example the fact that he was married before and has children from a previous marriage. Being married before and dating someone who was so much younger with no idea of what marriage was about was difficult for him and for me because he had previous expectations that really did not apply with a person like I am. in some areas i am a lot more mature than he is and in others i feel like i have to run to catch up. so i guess my point is that yes the relationship can work but there will be a lot more things to work through. the age thing will pop up sooner or later in an one are or another. but if you are willing to work through them then the relationship will work no matter that age :)

beeky
by Alexandra on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

My father was 13 years older than my mother and they were happily married until he passed away 5 days before their 49th anniversary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)