Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Little ways to be more of a "home-maker" type wife?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM
  • 26 Replies

My husband recently took a job working the night shift for a factory. He is always really tired and sore and doesnt get home until 2am. I have been cooking dinner and saving him a portion and then writing a note (& leaving it where he puts his keys) saying where his dinner is, what it is, etc. He really seems to appreciate it and mentioned how nice it is.

I know his mom is super-SAHM and always does really motherly things like that for her kids and husband. I wish I was that way...but I am really more of the strong, independant, working woman type. I admit that I suck at being helpful and affectionate and more wife-like. I have no clue what other nice gestures and helpful habits to start doing to be more like that. So...any ideas?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughingTattoo
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Since its getting cold out....maybe throwing his clothes into the dryer to get warm (or on the heater) while hes in the shower, starting his car for him, leaving him little love letters in his car, wake yourself during one of his breaks just to text him and let him know youre thinking of him.... Thats just a few I had off the top of my head

Mommytorn
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My hubby works nights and has to leave our house by 4:30 so I either cook dinner early and pack it for him or I make it later and take it to him I clean his uniforms and try to make sure he has one laid out..I make sure his bag he takes to work always has snacks and drinks in it and get the kids out of the house in the mornings so he can sleep without interruptions
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM
The other ladies have good suggestions. I do the same as they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Celtic_Dragon
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I sometimes show up at my husband's work with a hot lunch from town. He loves eating lunch with me. I don't know if that would be an option if he works nights. . .

I set out my husband's clothes and make sure he has socks and undies at hand. I HATE sock matching. Ugh.

The note thing is a good touch. Men love their food ready and hot, so I always try to do that for him.

Let him have some peace and quiet before bed.

Give him a blowjob with a lot of eye contact. They always love that.

stephjohn
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:53 PM

My dh works night shift as well. I also make sure he has a cooked meal for his lunch. He leaves for work at 4:30 pm and doesn't get home till 4 am. So i always make sure he gets to sleep peacefully till at least 2 pm. When i wake him i always do it with kisses and coffee. He clothes are always clean and folded including his socks and underwear, I also get his towel out for a shower. 

I like to leave him sweet notes in his lunchbox when i pack it too.

rayroe2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM

When my dh has to work long shifts I give him full body rub down with de-stressing oil, I pick his hair out for him, cook him his favorite meal and make sure the house is clean the way he likes. I don't do that everyday only when he has to work long hours and then I let him know how grateful I am for what he does for his family and if we have extra money, we will go get DVDs that something he enjoys also.

JennPearce
by Jenn! on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM
When we are together I offer to whip up his favorite desserts for him & bring it to him while he's unwinding for the day. He loves that :)
MMerrill
by Melissa on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I agree with what everyone else put they sound like good ideas...my husband isn't home during the week so I can't do all those things all the time.

I'm also super hard working and independant but I'm still on the house wife side though... I cook, clean, bake new things, decorate the house, etc.  If it's on pinterest I'm trying to do it lol.  He likes to help cook dinner and stuff and he helps me a clean a lot since I'm pregnant but I enjoy doing things like that.

CafeMom Tickers

wedding countdown

daijobu
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM
6 moms liked this

Don't try to be like his mom.  He married you because he likes you the way YOU are.  Nice touches with the notes, etc.  Little things like that are what shows him how much you appreciate him.  Don't over-do it, but some small but thoughtful things make you rock that much more.  Maybe make some cookies or rice-krispy treats to send with him (or whatever snack he likes).  Have fun with it, but make sure it's something that says it's you with a fun, thoughtful side.

katamike
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM

All these ladies had wonderful ideas! wow makes me think of what more i could be doing for Dh.. He is not much of a complainer, so i never know what he is thinking...lol I wouldn't try to compare myself to his mom, i mean she has alot of years under her belt, so i would just continue to do things for him that makes him feel appreciated :) You know him better than anyone of us do.. I am glad you posted this tho, gives me some good ideas. I wish i could take lunch to Dh, but he works an hour and 15 mins away :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN