Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

NEED ADVICE...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Which type of refrigerator do you prefer?

Options:

Side-by-Side

Top Freezer/Bottom Fridge

French Door w/ Bottom Freezer

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

We are moving into our first home in hopefully December. We have to buy a refrigerator and since I've rented for the last 7 years I've never had a chance to pick my own fridge. Have always had the smaller ones with freezer on top and fridge on bottom.

So heres the question: Which do you prefer, side-by-side, top freezer/bottom fridge, or french door w/ bottom freezer?!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I have a side by side. I like the fact I can see most everything in it with out rummaging through it. I have been told by friends who own the the french doors with bottom drawer  have nuch more room.

NDADanceMom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I love my fridge.  Its a side by side with water and air filters, touch screen control panel.  Frigidaire pro line.

michellej428
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I was looking at that one! 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I love my fridge.  Its a side by side with water and air filters, touch screen control panel.  Frigidaire pro line.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:45 AM
I prefer a side by side but I have a basic top freezer, bottom fridge!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Side by side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM

A freezer bottom is more efficient, but I like the side-by-side, because it's easier to find what you need in the freezer, IMO.

michellej428
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

More efficient how?

Quoting BrennaLyons:

A freezer bottom is more efficient, but I like the side-by-side, because it's easier to find what you need in the freezer, IMO.

jen1130
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM
It really depends on how many people are in your family. We have 6 kids living in our home ages 22-5 + DH & I. When we got our new home 3 years ago I wanted and got a side by side, I hate it! It is not big enough for us. I needed the French door with the freezer on the bottom. I have an extra little freezer but now I need an extra frig. So really think about what you would like to put in it.

If you bake like big cakes it can be hard to fit them in as well as a turkey again we get the biggest we can.
Go to sears or something with a ruler and then you home and lay your stuff out in the measurements, see what you can fit in.

Congratulations
&
Enjoy your home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:04 AM

From the electrical usage standpoint, the design is more efficient. But I like the efficiency of finding what I need quickly much more. Grin...

Quoting michellej428:

More efficient how?

Quoting BrennaLyons:

BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM

LOL! That is a problem, but it depends on three things.

One is how often you shop. With a big family, you're shopping once a week with a standard-sized side-by-side fridge. So if you want to shop every two weeks, that's a problem.

The second is how much space you need and how much space in the house you have. I have five adults (or adult-sized anyway) in the house, and we actually have two side-by-sides in the kitchen. A friend of mine has seven in her house and does a freezer top fridge and a stand-alone freezer instead. I don't feel she has enough fridge space, because someone is stopping for milk every other day.

The final one is what SIZE side-by-side you get. There are side-by-sides that are as wide as French are, but only half or a little more of it is fridge, of course.

I have two standard side-by-sides with water and ice in the door, and I have no problem storing large cakes in the fridge (not half sheet or larger, but large round cakes) and I have no problem storing up to a 28 lb turkey. That's my typical for Thanksgiving anyway. From experience, I can store a 21 lb, a 28 lb, and two weeks worth of other food between the two freezers. I can also store big pans of lasagne and other meals on the same shelves I use for storing a turkey or cake.

Quoting jen1130:

It really depends on how many people are in your family. We have 6 kids living in our home ages 22-5 + DH & I. When we got our new home 3 years ago I wanted and got a side by side, I hate it! It is not big enough for us. I needed the French door with the freezer on the bottom. I have an extra little freezer but now I need an extra frig. So really think about what you would like to put in it.

If you bake like big cakes it can be hard to fit them in as well as a turkey again we get the biggest we can.
Go to sears or something with a ruler and then you home and lay your stuff out in the measurements, see what you can fit in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN