Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Have You Suffered Thru Poverty Ever?

Today Oct 17th is the International Day for the Eradictation of Poverty.

Have you ever suffered thru poverty and what did you do to get by or what types of things did you have to do without?

View Full Size Image YVONNE

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Hatred4none
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Quoting Queen_Sheila:

Are you joking? Bc I certainly am not, yes I'm glad we always had a roof over our heads and never was as bad as this picture but I remember as a child wanting something but never asking for it bc I knew my parents couldn't get it. Or needing something and not having a way to buy it immediately. It builds so much patience but also an unwanted jealousy of those who have it but don't appreciate it.
countrymomma81
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Sometimes I felt like it but no, I don't think we ever have. 

Queen_Sheila
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear, I didn't ask if it was a joke because I've never suffered through poverty; I asked it if was a joke because the idea of  having just one day dedicated to bring awareness to eradicating poverty is ridiculous. "The poor you will have with you always," because of man's greed.

Quoting Hatred4none:

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

Are you joking? Bc I certainly am not, yes I'm glad we always had a roof over our heads and never was as bad as this picture but I remember as a child wanting something but never asking for it bc I knew my parents couldn't get it. Or needing something and not having a way to buy it immediately. It builds so much patience but also an unwanted jealousy of those who have it but don't appreciate it.

beeky
by Alexandra on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

No.

Ms.Gwen
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Yes. I lived on the street, in squatter camps, abandoned buildings, and a few homeless shelters. I joined the military for 3 squares a day / to get out of that life.
My favorite place to sleep was in the woods off of a ritzy golf club. I got a free shower every morning when the sprinklers went off. I pan handled for money and sat outside fancy resteraunts. When someone came out with a white box I'd ask if I could have it until I got something good. I probobly ate better then than I do now! The one thing you really can't afford when you live that life is pride. Self respect doesn't come cheap either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I lived on the street for 8 months. I slept in a friends car for 6 months.

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM

if it wasnt for my dad we would be homeless right now, jumping from friend to friend,shelter to shelter. its not exactly poverty since my dad is helping us

liz.1986
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Yes. We have had to pawn stuff to pay bills or buy groceries. We have gone without internet, cable, food. My husband joined the military cause he couldn't find a job, but he's fixing to get out and I'm afraid we'll fall right back into it again. Hopefully we both find jobs soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abbie.alder
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Quoting MrsApple:

I grew up in poverty.I remember days where we only had bread and milk for dinner.It was hard.

Same. I actually lived in a rural area, and a neighbor had a barn with outdated food for their pigs that my siblings and I used to sneak into. Gross, but it was food. Funny how even though my dad's 8 kids and pregnant wife were eating pig food, he could eat out whenever he wanted. He was a real gem.

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM

yes. about 5 years ago me and my husband fell on  hard times and became homeless wtih our son who was 3 yrs old at the time. for 2 whole years we lived out of our car and we ended up living in a tent at local campgrounds and some nights when we couldn't afford to camp we slept in our car. luckily my husband was military at the time, but only a reservist. but we had 2 bases in our area where we could get on to shop at the commissary and take showers. 1 had a campground that used occasionally as well. my husband would get MREs from his unit and we would eat those occasionally when we couldn't afford food. unfortunately we spent a lot of money on food cuz a lot of times we had to eat out unless we were camping and could bbq cuz we had nowhere to cook our food. my husband did have a full time job during this time, but we were living in a very high cost living area and just couldn't afford rent in the area. we tried low income places and applying for aid. but the waiting list was several years long. I couldn't work either cuz we couldn't afford child care so I could get a job and there were no jobs I could get to work opposite hours as my husband. it was a horrible time in our life. eventually after 2 years my husband got orders to deploy to iraq and his unit put him on orders 6 months before the unit deployed. he makes way more money when he is AD then his regular civilian job. so this was a lifesaver for us. a few months after he started his orders we finally had enough money to get into an apt. my husband made more then enough money while deployed that I was able to save a good half of it. we have since moved out of state to an area with lower cost living and better jobs and doing a million times better. but we will always remember those 2 years and what we went thru and now even tho we are doing well, we still worry. we live as simple and cheaply as we can cuz we are so afraid of falling on bad times like that again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)