Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Have You Suffered Thru Poverty Ever?

Today Oct 17th is the International Day for the Eradictation of Poverty.

Have you ever suffered thru poverty and what did you do to get by or what types of things did you have to do without?

View Full Size Image YVONNE

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I left home at 15 and lived in a tent in the state forest in a campground 3/4 of the year spring/fall and summer and then I was able to finally rent a room somewhere. At the time I worked but didnt make enough money to get a place and I couldnt get food stamps or anything they said bc I didnt have an address. Even though it was hard I dont regret leaving home at that time I was happier and better off in the tent than at my parents house back then. I grew up really fast bc of it but I also learned to be exceptionally resourceful which helped me in later years. Additionally I have always been exceptionally grateful for any blessings and things I do have now which is a lot.

Titana
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I have never been homeless but I have been flat out stretched to my limits. I was living with a deadbeat ex boyfriend who stole money from me and never paid a single bill. I was afraid to leave him. I had my cell phone shut off because I couldn't pay and was very behind on all my bills including rent. I ate top ramen and plain oatmeal for months. I lost weight and struggled mentally. I finally kicked his ass to the curb, got a protective order, and got help. I am now in a great relationship and enjoying life with my boyfriend and our dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear, I didn't ask if it was a joke because I've never suffered through poverty; I asked it if was a joke because the idea of  having just one day dedicated to bring awareness to eradicating poverty is ridiculous. "The poor you will have with you always," because of man's greed.

Quoting Hatred4none:

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

Are you joking? Bc I certainly am not, yes I'm glad we always had a roof over our heads and never was as bad as this picture but I remember as a child wanting something but never asking for it bc I knew my parents couldn't get it. Or needing something and not having a way to buy it immediately. It builds so much patience but also an unwanted jealousy of those who have it but don't appreciate it.

Oh I see what you are saying. Yes you are absolutely right and now that my husband and I are doing well we frequently donate to charities and donate any of our things we dont need anymore and are very aware of those who are in need around us. "I" didnt make up the holiday I am just sharing that it exists as a day of awareness I doubt the people who made the holiday felt ONE day would do the trick either I think they use it more of a reminder to society bc too often those living comfortable lives often forget to look at those who dont around them and to try to make a positive difference?  Thats my take on it.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I think people's idea of poverty is different than my own. There is a difference between being poor, or stretched to your limits, and living in poverty. I've been to Southeast Asia. I've seen what real poverty looks like. Having to do without cable and cell phones, or being late on your utility bills or having a car repo'ed is not poverty. That's bad decision making. That's bad money management. That's not poverty.

mrsfitz05
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

No internet and no cable doesn't qualify as poverty. I view poverty as the homelessness, maybe having a roof over your head but not enough to eat and no money in the near future to buy any, trying to find work or better work and unable. There is also a difference in temporary and perpetual poverty. Many people have periods of it and pull themselves out, others get caught in the perpetual cycle and never seem to rise above it.

When I was little - before I can remember - my parents went without so I could eat a few times and would have more often if not for the kindness of others in our lives. But that is as close as I've been. Any other money issues, they've all been poor decisions.

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Besides  living in a tent when I was 15 for almost a year... I also was extremely poor for the 2 yrs with my 4 kids after I got my divorce. I worked fulltime but didnt make enough money especially without childsupport which I didnt get until after 2 yrs (then I finally got back pay too but it didnt help those 2 yrs)  We didnt eat well and we went thru periods of time with no water no electrcity and no heat. We had no car so had to walk to store and other places with the kids in all kinds of weather even long distances. I had to borrow water from kind neighbors hoses to put in the tub to handwash 5 peoples clothes which was hard work too. I couldnt afford xmas gifts for them but the kids told me its ok we dont need any which made me wish they could have them even more and then for those 2 yrs angel giving tree bought them beautiful gifts, it was so touching I cried and cried. The kids were touched that strangers would do that for them too.

At night we would light candles since we had no electricity and I got $1 store batteries so they could have a radio and we played games and pretended we were camping in the house to make it more "fun" and before they went to bed I had each of them as well as me write down 5 things we were grateful for that given day even if all it was was very basic things.

Two years later our lives changed dramatically for the better and we have lived a very blessed and happy life after that. But the kids told now that they are all young adults they are actually GLAD they went thru those 2 yrs bc they are extra grateful and appreciative and appreciate even the small things in life that others take for granted, additionally they are truly exceptionally compassionate and charitable and help homeless people and others, All of them do. They said it made them better more caring and more socially conscious people. Awwww I am so proud of them.

amanda81919
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Wait you got milk?! Lucky. I remeber growing up with cabage water and well water.its sad what we went threw.

Quoting MrsApple:

I grew up in poverty.I remember days where we only had bread and milk for dinner.It was hard.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amanda81919
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM
We had it kinda bad, but what made it worse my parents wuldnt accept help from church, or family, so days and weeks went by with no power or water, days no food, and when we did it was cabbage in water, beans and water...and it could have been avoided iff she just accepted help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Well,sort of.It was pretty watered down ,lol.We had well water too! 

Quoting amanda81919:

Wait you got milk?! Lucky. I remeber growing up with cabage water and well water.its sad what we went threw.

Quoting MrsApple:

I grew up in poverty.I remember days where we only had bread and milk for dinner.It was hard.

Nunyabusiness
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Yes with my mom. Dh is getting out of the military soon and I'm very worried we may have to go through it again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)