Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Marriage/Committed Relationship and the Bathroom

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Amy
  • 77 Replies

Ok, so if the subject makes you queasy, turn away now...lol.

Anywho, I was wondering how open are you and your SO when it comes to the bathroom?  In my house, we have an open door policy unless we have guests.  We are very comfortable with each other and our bathroom habits -we feel like we have nothing to hide, and in fact we get concerned if one of us actually closes a door (whether in the bathroom or another room).

IMO, I feel like if we truly love each other and plan on being together until we are old farts, then we should be comfortable with that kind of stuff.  Who knows- maybe some day one of us will be unable to take care of ourselves and thus rely on the other to do so?  After my c-section, my hubby had to help me in the bathroom when it was too painful to bend over and "take care of myself."

Growing up, my mom was the complete opposite from me.  She only passed gas around my sister and I (she wouldn't do it in front my my brothers or dad), and she still to this day gets up before everyone else to go poop.  I just don't get it - if you love someone enough to marry them, shouldn't you feel comfortable with them seeing all aspects of you? 

What's the policy in your relationship?

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tangal
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Just started the open door policy...its taking time to get use to...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
akb300
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this
My husband and I are the same way. And my mom won't even discuss going to the bathroom in front of my dad and they have been married for 45 yrs. I just don't get it but... I guess some people are just shy or find it disgusting. I don't know. My husband basically helped me do everything after my c-section so there is nothing to hide or be embarrassed by now. Lol
crochetmom07
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM
5 moms liked this
Neither of us cares. Honestly, if we're talking and one of us needs to use the bathroom we will continue the conversation in the bathroom. It's normal for us. Always has been.
mustloveanimals
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Closed door. I just want my privacy (though my daughter comes in and then leaves the door open - so perhaps I really have an open door). Anyway, I like my privacy and he likes his. He used to LOCK the door! WTF? Like I am going to waltz in on him? I got him to stop locking it by saying what if something happended and you needed help, but I couldn't get in right away because you LOCKED the door!

garnet83
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Closed door policy. There are just certain times in life when privacy is expected. The bathroom is one of those times. As a matter of fact, I lock the door. That also goes for my evening bubble bath. During my morning shower, my girls or DH may need to come in the bathroom because everyone is getting ready for their day so it's not a big deal. But during my evening bubble bath, locked door and you better leave me alone. That's my time. And if I need to use the bathroom, I don't need your help or your input. You are useless to me  and there's another bathroom if you need it so stay out.

SierraLynn
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
50/50.
We leave it open to pee (me all the time, dh only when our dd is asleep or not there) and its closed when we have to poop. I enjoy my privacy with it. And dh kicks it because dd likes to try and see what daddy is doing. Lol, it freaks him out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sydjademom24
by Rachel J on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM
3 moms liked this
My opinion is we've been married for 9 years, he's had front row seats to me giving birth 3 times, so that has to be much more Gorey/gross than bathroom stuff. I am so used to leaving the door open at this point, my kids and dog love to follow me into the bathroom, that unless we have company I always leave the door open. I plan on being with my husband for hopefully 60+ years if we live that long...lol. so we should be very comfortable with all bathroom functions....lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Titana
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I close the door but don't lock it. He sometimes closes it and sometimes leaves it open. If he needs to come in he can but I like to go to the bathroom in peace lol. However, if I am showering or something I couldn't care less. I'm not shy and I don't hide things from him. He knows I poop and pass gas lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this
We leave the door open when we pee, but close it when we poop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleigh24
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Closed door with number 2!! We both like our privacy. Peeing I always leave it open because I babysit kids and I want to hear them. My dh always closes it unless our dd isn't home or asleep. Pooping is just gross to me so I don't want to be in there with anyone unless I have to. I can't stand smelling things at all. Yuck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)