Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Real Jobs

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hello Ladies

I would like serious/honest feedback on what you think a REAL job or REAL HARD WORK is. Feel free to ask your husbands this question as well as their opinion is important on this as well. Thanks.

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommi3-Sarah
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
One you get paid for doing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM
This is kind of a loaded question. I guess it almost depends on what your situation in life is.
nsparky1964
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM

it is a loaded question...according to society IMO, a "real job" is one where there is a decent wage, benefits, and PTO...and perhaps a college degree... However, I have had what society deems a real job, and I have more satisfaction, made more money, enjoyed my job, and generally a happier person with not so real jobs...I've been a waitress, and currently a bartender...and with an average wage (including tips) of over $20/hr I'll take a low skilled, non real job any day of the week!!!

princessmelita
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Thank you all for the feedback so far. I asked this question because my husband and I got on a conversation that ended up in an argument because he doesn't classify my profession as a real job. His idea of a real job is someone who does manual labor such as construction workers, farming, etc.... he says that I'm only upset because I don't want to hear the truth but the fact is that I'm tired of being downgraded because I chose to work in the childcare profession. I have an Assoc. degree in Early Childhood Education. I've worked in an actual child care facility and I've also worked with pre-school and pre-kindergarten children and he classifies ALL of it as babysitting.

aimesnyc
by Amy on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Man, that's tough.  Personally, something physically or mentally taxing where there's a finished product and compensation can be monetary or in the form of an accomplishment (children raised, etc).

aimesnyc
by Amy on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Tell him to check the dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/work

good

Quoting princessmelita:

Thank you all for the feedback so far. I asked this question because my husband and I got on a conversation that ended up in an argument because he doesn't classify my profession as a real job. His idea of a real job is someone who does manual labor such as construction workers, farming, etc.... he says that I'm only upset because I don't want to hear the truth but the fact is that I'm tired of being downgraded because I chose to work in the childcare profession. I have an Assoc. degree in Early Childhood Education. I've worked in an actual child care facility and I've also worked with pre-school and pre-kindergarten children and he classifies ALL of it as babysitting.

princessmelita
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Thank you Amy  :)

nlc75
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM
My DH tells me that all the time. Because I don't do manual labor either.
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Quoting Mommi3-Sarah:

One you get paid for doing.
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember as a teen using that term "real job" and I was usually talking about better paying jobs, ones that you didn't/couldn't get when you were a teen.

...maybe your DH needs to grow up a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)