Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Getting Married

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hey everyone,

I need some advice! My boyfriend and I have been together for four years and have two children. We are talking about getting married in January, but just want a very simple thing. We were planning on just having a justice of the peace, with two witness and then planning a party when we get settled in our home and get some money saved up. What does everyone thingk about that. My mother keeps trying o make it a big thing, but right now we just don't want that. Josh has been working alot and I am in college full time, plus we are not big wedding type of people.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grumpyboston
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Do what you want stay true to yourself if you .if you do what everyone else wants you will be miserable and regret it. Take it from me I learned the hard way . Congrads on your wedding
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crystal113
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, that is what Josh keeps telling me , but I guess I always try to make everyone happy. We say when I graduate college and on our anniversary even in five years we can have a wedding or something. I just feel its about us and us being together and raising our children not the wedding and everything that goes with it. thank you for your advice, makes sense. and thank you i am very excited to be his wife :)

funhappymom
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Do what works best for you and your fiance. Let her throw you a big party afterwards if she wants 

Congrats :)

liveforever
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Its your day and totally up to the two of you.

I didnt have a big wedding. We had 4 people at the ceremony (next to a lake in a national park) then had dinner in the private dining room of a nice local restaurant. There were 20 people total at the dinner. It was a wonderful, stress free day!

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I see nothing wrong with it.  I hope you're very happy together.

IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM

My husband and I eloped, more or less, in HI during a planned vacation.  It was us, our son and my now in-laws.  After weighting options of different ways of doing the wedding we decided that we wanted it to be about us and not about everyone else.  It was perfect.  We threw a reception and partied it up a few months later.  I even got to have my dress altered to a cocktail length and wore it again!

Do what's right for you two (and the kiddos), and ignore everyone else's cries of "but, but,  but."  It's not about them, it's about YOU.

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that everyone puts so much effort into the wedding that they forget that it's the marriage that is important.

I think you should get married, when and where you want.  If you want JOP (for now) then do so.  It's not your mother's wedding or marriage!!

MomToovey
by Marianne on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM

It's your wedding, do what you want!

Good luck & congrats :)

beeky
by Alexandra on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Your wedding!  Your day!  Your decision!

Congrats!

AlannaMaria
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM
I think that's just fine! Congrats :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)