Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Volunteer Work?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM
  • 3 Replies

huggingToday November 17th is National Family Volunteer Day.

Has your family ever done any volunteer work where the kids were involved in it too?

View Full Size Image YVONNE

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Starting when our 5 were little we got them involved in helping choose clothes and toys they had outgrown to donate and explained how they were helping others by doing so and praised them.

Also I would take them on walks with bags and they would help me pick up litter in the neighborhood and at the local parks.

They volunteered to shovel and rake elderly neighbors driveways sidewalks yards for no money many different times and also helped clean up elderly peoples yards after devils night if they got tp'ed or waxed or soaped or egged.

As they got older we worked on large scale clothes and coats drives the community had.

We would take them to the grocery store and let them pick out what foods they would want if they had to get food from food bank (they needed to in past ) what they thought the kids and people would like and then we'd buy it and donate it.

For awhile one daughter volunteered and played her flute and saxophone at a local church

When I worked as a mentor for troubled high risk families in the county family court system I let the kids be involved by playing with the family's kids and they didnt realize it but were helping me be a role model and example of positive discipline with my kids for the moms I was mentoring by her watching me work with mine.

Now that my kids are grown some of them help homeless people directly one on one and donate blood and plasma. They also help other people randomly that are in need of help of some kind when they can.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Not really, not yet anyway. She's only 3. All we've really done is ask her to look through her toys and clothes to pick things out for children in need. That and the letter for Santa at Macy's, where they donate $1 to MakeAWish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Quoting MomToovey:

Not really, not yet anyway. She's only 3. All we've really done is ask her to look through her toys and clothes to pick things out for children in need. That and the letter for Santa at Macy's, where they donate $1 to MakeAWish.

goodthats a great start! : D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)