Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

are you the host? or guest?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 38 Replies
For thanksgiving?

I'm hosting my 1st thanksgiving ever. Soooo nervous and excited! There will be 10 people. I'm planning out my dinner today and I have mixed feelings on this. I want to be a success but I know if I screw up 1 thing ill hear crap from my mom till next year. I'm making everything from the turkey to the pies. (Minus the ham, my sister offered to cook it, since I don't eat pork) my grandma passed away this may and she always hosted it. I helped a lot!! So I know all the side dishes, but the turkey, I don't. So.. I took a recipe from The chew and I'm gonna try it!!! Excited! Lol sorry.. Any advice? To help me have a smooth running operation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimesnyc
by Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice?  Don't cook everything...lol.  Let everyone bring a dish, and you can provide the turkey, a side and a dessert.  That way you don't overwhelm yourself, there's a wide variety of dishes, and everyone feels involved. :)

manamott
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM
I'm the host. Third year now. I love hosting. But it's always just me, hubby, our the kids, my bestie and her the kids, and my mother and her boyfriend. Nothing too crazy.
ReadWriteLuv
Allright 2015, you heinous bitch. Bring it on!
Yesterday at 5:22 PM
by Casey on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Niether.

We live 10 hours away from our closest family members. It's always just the three of us. I haven't been with any extended family for Thanksgiving in possibly a decade? If not, close to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My advice is to prep as much as you can the day before or even days before, don't be embarrassed to get something store-bought (like dessert) for your meal, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2bkayleesmommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM
My 1 sister, can't cook. My other sister thinks she can cook but calls me 20x making 1 thing. Haha.. So the ham my mom told her how to make it step by step. And since my mom just had 2 strokes she's too weak and the men, well... Maybe I'll let them buy something. Haha. I'm making the pies on tuesday night. Wednesday I'm peeling the potatoes. And thurs I'm making the stuffing (on the side not in the bird) and make the potatoes, green bean caserole, and cranberry sauce. Not too much.

Quoting aimesnyc:

My advice?  Don't cook everything...lol.  Let everyone bring a dish, and you can provide the turkey, a side and a dessert.  That way you don't overwhelm yourself, there's a wide variety of dishes, and everyone feels involved. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2bkayleesmommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM
85% of my family is in NY and 10% in GA/PA. The few of us here in california. 1 aunt and 2 cousins are in cali and my mom sisters are here. Bro is in mississippi and 1 uncle here. So. But @ least I have that few here. Tho some are 1hr away

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Niether.

We live 10 hours away from our closest family members. It's always just the three of us. I haven't been with any extended family for Thanksgiving in possibly a decade? If not, close to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Hmmm..ok...it sounds like you have it covered! ;)  In that case, another great recipe from The Chew is Carla's Chocolate Pecan Pie.  I made it last year - it's soooo easy and sooooo good!

Quoting 2bkayleesmommy:

My 1 sister, can't cook. My other sister thinks she can cook but calls me 20x making 1 thing. Haha.. So the ham my mom told her how to make it step by step. And since my mom just had 2 strokes she's too weak and the men, well... Maybe I'll let them buy something. Haha. I'm making the pies on tuesday night. Wednesday I'm peeling the potatoes. And thurs I'm making the stuffing (on the side not in the bird) and make the potatoes, green bean caserole, and cranberry sauce. Not too much.

Quoting aimesnyc:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

2bkayleesmommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Mmm.. I will look it up! I love the chew. I want the book but can't seem to find it anywhere. I buy my books from target, they have a ton of cook books there but not the chew's!! :( I'm doing michael symons "perfectly moist turkey"

Quoting aimesnyc:

Hmmm..ok...it sounds like you have it covered! ;)  In that case, another great recipe from The Chew is Carla's Chocolate Pecan Pie.  I made it last year - it's soooo easy and sooooo good!

Quoting 2bkayleesmommy:

Quoting aimesnyc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
november117
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM
We will be the guests this year. We did, however, host my ss 3rd birthday party this past Saturday and I made two hams, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, brown sugar carrots and au gratin potatoes plus his birthday cake. Lol. Might as well have been Thanksgiving. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bchic24
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Host.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN