Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

I get paid once a month and my husband every 2 weeks.  Most of my check goes to bills and my DH's goes to other things here and there.  Rarely to bills.  I got paid last week which was our sons 14th bday.  My husband got paid this last Monday.  I decided that I would split one payment in half and pull from my DH's paycheck to help pay for a bill so we could do some stuff for our sons b-day.  This past Tuesday I realized I didn't get enough money for a bill (we don't have a banking account, we just use cash) so I took $60 out of my husbands wallet.  It wasn't or personal use and I wasn't sneaking around, I just saw the discrepancy and grabbed his wallet and took what I needed.  He takes out of my wallet all the time.  Well the next day he got pissed at me and now won't speak to me.  He said I lied and stole from him.  I don't feel like I did.  I don't feel like I should have to ask for permission to get money, especially if it's going to OUR bills.  Am I wrong about this?  Did I steal?  Yea, I could have mentioned I took it, but I didn't think it was a big deal.

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Replies (81-85):
mommybug77
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM
I go into my dh wallet all the time. I usually leave a note. I took all the cash from his wallet Friday while he slept. I was taking our oldest girls to a gymnastics meet Saturday morning and he was working Saturday. I left a note telling him if he needed cash to hit the bank. It didn't phase him.
Shelly123
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

You both need to have respect for one anothers things.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Should have mentioned it, yes.. Because it was a bill. DH and I communicate on bills, so he knows why three hundred or so it gone in one day from the account. But we live in a what's mine is yours/ yours is mine marriage.

It wasn't stealing.... But it sounds like giving him sixty back when you get paid needs to be done to smooth things over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Ehh I wouldn't call it stealing but I would have told him I needed more money.

notjstasocermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM

i totally disgaree with this, I still have things that are very private. 

Quoting lazyd:

I dont understand some of these post that say i wouldnt go into my husband's wallet and they wouldnt go into my purse cuz its "personal" property!?  When you get married NOTHING is "personal" anymore!  Yea, she could have mentioned it, but i could guarantee everyone on here is busy and forgets to tell their SO's things "right away" and take and do things without askin first!  IF and when a couple keep separate accounts than it just means that people are not totally committed to the relationship.  Why make it harder on the relationship on who pays what and when?  It should be a joint account and the only thing couples should worry about is the "when" of paying pills - not the who should pay this and how come you didnt- what if something happens at work and one time someone makes less money one paycheck to cover a bill - does that mean that bill gets unpaid cuz its not the "responsibility" of the other person??  This is totally unfair and can damage a couples credit.  Also, keeping separate accounts means being able to hide things and have more secrets.  Imall for couples having a joint account and a his and her separate accounts that is "personal allowance" money, after all the bills are paid, to do what you please with.  That way there is always enough money for the bills.  Okay, sorry for the rant, i just cant believe some people would consider this stealing!?  Maybe it was a lack of common courtesy at the moment, but i wouldnt even go that far. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)