Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hes buying a gun vent

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM
  • 25 Replies
First let me say that I believe in everyone's right to bear arms...
Dh loves them, he KNOWS I am terrified of them, can't stand them...I know there are guns in our home, but I have no idea where they are and they were here long before I was and would never ask him to get rid of them...however I thought we had an agreement on no guns or assault rifles being brought new into the house...I have had many bad experiences with guns, friends and my own father taking his life in front of me with a 9mm ...he knows this, understands my feelings ..but Noooo he goes last night to bass pro and buys a F'ing assault rifle! When I asked why, he said for hinting and protection...he DOESN'T HUNT! ..
I feel he's being horribly disrespectful of my feelings...
To me the level of disrespect is the same as me going to a tanning bed and basking in the sun for hours at at a time, since his first wife passed from skin cancer due to overexposure to UV ...I absolutely love to tan and bask in the sun, but I don't out of respect for him....
Vent over...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I'm sorry. That wasn't cool of him to go and do that with out discussing it with you first. * hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I am sorry for how you must feel and I am horribly beyond sorry for what happened to you with your dad. HUGS

I hate guns too. My husband Todd and I never had a gun in the house when the 5 kids were growing up (my dad always had a lot in locked gun cases bc my dad is a hunter and gun collector but we dont hunt or anything).

Now that the kids are grown up and we moved into a lot more populated area and even though its a high class ritzy area there are a lot of home break ins so Todd worries about me a LOT. Also he worries if there is some kind of apocolplytic event (major natural disaster, economic disaster or etc that there could be a time when society gets very violent and crazy and mean ) so he wanted a gun just in case for protection for us. I said no and normally we always agree or compromise.

But very out of character for him, he went and bought one without me a glock 27 he got regular bullets for us to practice at the range and hollow points (to protect innocent people) in case we had to use it in our apt or in a crowded place so the bullet would stay in the intruder, attacker and not come out and shoot someone else too.

I was upset but I understand he only did it because he so strongly feels its important and he kept worrying if a situation came up where we needed it and didnt have it he'd never be able to live with not having gotten one. He's taking a class and getting a carrying a concealed weapon license too. (I'm not) but since he has it I guess I'll learn to shoot it.

Still not thrilled about it.

In your situation I would feel emotionally worse though bc of what you went thru. HUGS

View Full Size Image YVONNE

jmjdj
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM
My SO is also an avid gun guy. He has a gun in just about every room in his house , but like you, I don't even know where they are. He also has a concealed handgun license and more often than not he is carrying one on his person. Keeps a pistol in his car too.

I don't have the severe aversion to them as you do, but I also haven't had bad experiences like you so yours is very understandable. In order to understand it better, I took the concealed handgun class myself...still haven't sent in the paperwork to get it and don't have a gun, but I do have a better understanding of why it's important to him. He is not a hunter, but he enjoys shooting at the range. Primarily though it is to protect himself and those he loves.

I'm not telling you this to defend your dh...he should respect your feelings, but maybe you need to have a heart to heart talk with him about why it is so important to him. Maybe there is something he's not saying. My SO carries his on him when we go to dinner. It used to bother me but now it doesn't...at least I know he would protect me should something happen so I'll be around for my boys. If I don't see him put in on I'll know he's carrying if doesn't take his jacket off. But even then he may have it in his ankle holster.

I'm sorry you feel disrespected. You should not have to feel that way. But I really would talk to him.
countrycat71
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM
I tend to feel the same way about guns, I do not care for them either. My dad had a few guns but I never remember the cabinet being locked. (It was homemade, but I don't think it was very pushed to have them locked up back then) Anyway, I have never liked them to say the least. Now I have two boys who are getting older and wanting to hunt & thinking they need their own and I hate it cuz I don't want them here. They think we will need them for other reasons too, I say not. We do not have the money to buy them anyway, especially when they can use their grandpa's, he lives close. But my husband has also done a lot of things without me knowing until afterwards and behind my back, some bad enough I probably should have left him. So I know how you feel. Best Wishes, Take Care.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Sorry that you feel disrespected.

We have so many guns between the three of us, (my husband, daughter and I), that I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fear of them, but you should never feel disrespected in your marriage. Hope you guys can come to an agreement.

LadyBast
by Brenda on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Sorry we have hand guns and I feel more comfortable with those.. Good luck Hugs too, have another chat with him, protection starts with taking classes to use the gun etc...

I have my permit and I carry!

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))

sandra1023
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I love to target shoot, but I agree with you.  He should respect your feelings.

~
If you're a crafter, please check out my Facebook blog. :)
Be Hoppy Crafting
nsparky1964
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM
He's permitted to carry..has taken classes..I was brought up with them, shot them several times and even owned one once upon a time...
And I know the saying guns don't kill people, people kill people...however IMO its alot easier ti do with an assault rifle.

Quoting LadyBast:

Sorry we have hand guns and I feel more comfortable with those.. Good luck Hugs too, have another chat with him, protection starts with taking classes to use the gun etc...

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I have an assault rifle. My husband has two. Just for the record, we don't kill people and don't plan to.

Quoting nsparky1964:

He's permitted to carry..has taken classes..I was brought up with them, shot them several times and even owned one once upon a time...
And I know the saying guns don't kill people, people kill people...however IMO its alot easier ti do with an assault rifle.

Quoting LadyBast:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)