Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Age difference why does it bother so many people

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this

I love my boyfriend! He is quite an amazing individual. We enjoy every moment we have together and we both work very hard to ...in a way - make our relationship look easy.Relationships are hard - they require dedication, long hours, patience and a great sense of humor. But for some reason no one seems able to say that.They say if it is hard work then there is something wrong.I think of it as - we both wanted this relationship because of our love for one another, why not do everything possible to make it work?10 months out of the year - my boyfriend  is 20 years older than I am. The other 2 months we're only 19 years apart. =)I am 26 and he is 46.  I want to marry him because I not only do I love him,I like him and that is a very big deal.I enjoy his smile, jokes, the way he thinks very carefully before asking a question. He always doing sweet things for me that are completely unexpected. He respects my opinion and asks for it frequently. He knows when to apologize and does it immediately. And he does everything in his power to make sure that I am taken care of, provided for and that I always know how loved and appreciated I am. Because he does these things, I do the same for him.I can never decide if it is the age difference or if it is simply luck of the draw...I think I'll go with both - I know for sure that he never treated his ex wife this way. Perhaps things do get better with age or maybe the personalities click differently.Whatever it is... we're happy. He is happy. I'm happy. Actually, I'm more than happy - I'm ecstatic to call him mine. I don't know what the future will bring and I dread the thought of losing him, but it could easily be the other way around. I would prefer to take care of him than to have him take care of me, but that is a risk to be found in any relationship.I have no doubt that in time we will go through some ‘growing pains’ but as long as he still has his sexy gray hair…we’ll get though it all just fine!  He ignores the horrible looks and so do I but sometimes like today I just want to shout at the people throwing daggers.I'm new to this blog and find it very therapeutic. Does anybody else have a similar life?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM

bump

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM
I wanted a husband I could share pop culture with from when we were little at the same.
I didn't want to ever hear, "oh that was before your time"
I don't have a problem with others. My preference was a share history of presidents, major events( Krista Mcauliff tragedy) for instance) it was just my preference to have a husband in my age range.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lactatingloon
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh and I's best couple friends are 35 ish years a part and they are perfect for each other. I'm happy that you're so happy! How wonderful!
keisha121
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM
My husband is 13 years older we have been together for ten years I love him its just the age of his kid's that kind of weird me out when we go places and the 18 says mom I am 28 but I love them all wouldn't marry any other man email if you ever need to vent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beeky
by Alexandra on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a problem with it. 

My parents were 13 years apart and my 20 year old dd's boyfriend is 31.

MomRocs1102
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

dh and I are only a few months apart, but it doesn't bother me when i see huge age difference. 

pittymama
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM

age difference doesn't bother me. DH and i are 3 years apart, but i've had boyfriends 10+ years older than me 

Dominosmommy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I don't see anything wrong with an age difference. I have been dating the same person since I was in thr 7th grade and he is 4 1/2 years older than me. Yes there was a time in our relationship when he was "legal" and I was not. I do not care. I am 20 years old and he just turned 25. I love him with all of my heart. 

Achaser
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I feel like I have friends here even though we never met!  I showed my fiancé the posts and it made him smile as well.  I guess my being black and him white causes most of the er..uh hum prolonged looks.  Thanks so much my kindred spirits.

rayroe2
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I think there is a certain cut off. like the Courtney studden and Doug couple he was 53 and she was 17. That is sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN