Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gallstones anyone?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so I have been seeing this GI DR for a year and he's been telling me that I don't have gallstones that my pain is not related to the gallbladder blah blah blah. I have been convinced that it is. Finally this past week after I had dinner ziti I got  this awful pain kind of like a gas pain but so strong it just didn't feel right. I went t the ER the next morning because I was scared that the pain would come back, after 8 hours blood work and an Ultrasound it is confirmed that I do have Gallstones. I need to have my gallbladder removed 😞. I am always freaking constipated on top of everything uggh it sucks, he also said no way just take some stool softeners and you'll be fine.I'm not going to him to have my GB removed I'm finding a new Dr.  Have any of you had your GB taken out? What were your symptoms of stones? And how was the surgery? The ER Dr told me its a same day surgery. 

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Maaamaof2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

OMG! This is my story to.

I ended up in the hospital five times and was told I did not have them. Eventually out of frustration I threw a rapid a%^ fit and they brought in a really good Doctor.

He found that below the gallbladder there was inflamation and swelling which lead him to believe there was a problem. They were right when they said I had no Gallstone, but they ran a test that showed my gallbladder was only functioning at 7% of normal.

I was overweight at the time and think that played some in the issues I was having. Two years latter I have got on a very healthy life program and have had no issues.

mommyivy25
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Really? That's awesome to hear I feel like some of these Drs are such asses I mean really..... The way I see it is I know my body u know medicine let's work together to find the problem dammit don't tell me what I feel isn't real!! 

Quoting Ms.Maaamaof2:

I ended up in the hospital five times and was told I did not have them. Eventually out of frustration I threw a rapid a%^ fit and they brought in a really good Doctor.

He found that below the gallbladder there was inflamation and swelling which lead him to believe there was a problem. They were right when they said I had no Gallstone, but they ran a test that showed my gallbladder was only functioning at 7% of normal.

I was overweight at the time and think that played some in the issues I was having. Two years latter I have got on a very healthy life program and have had no issues.

Ms.Maaamaof2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM

YEP! I know your pain.

We know that if we are having excruciating pain something is wrong, that is what WE KNOW.

Doctors know the body, and I will give them that, if it is not the gallbladder I am okay with that. BUT, with that said I want them to find out what it is if it isnt that, ya know?

I started tracking what was triggering it. Once it was bad I could not do  that because everything was a trigger. I found many foods I needed to avoid and I have done that.

Quoting mommyivy25:

Really? That's awesome to hear I feel like some of these Drs are such asses I mean really..... The way I see it is I know my body u know medicine let's work together to find the problem dammit don't tell me what I feel isn't real!! 

Quoting Ms.Maaamaof2:

OliviaW.
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I have had mine removed. When I had an attack it left like someone was sticking a hot poker into me over and over again. I'd have heartburn and then finally I'd vomit and get better after a night of this. When I went to the doctor I was having an attack, I had had it for almost 4 days in a row which was the first time like that. My doctor had me admitted into the hospital that night.

At the hospital the next day (I got admitted at 5 in the evening) they did a scope which is sticking a camera down my throat and checking everything out and pushing any stones out of the gallbladder and surrounding areas. The next day I was in surgery to have the gallbladder removed. And I was able to leave within hours after the surgery. Normally it's a one day thing but since the doctor admitted me and I kinda got rushed instead of the normal treatment. 

After 2 years I have discovered that there are certain foods that cause 'flare ups'. I can't have greasy foods or certain foods after a certain time of day or the next day I'm running to the bathroom (it just runs through) or I have bad heartburn. It's better than the stabbing pain though.

fnlyhappy65
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

My gallstones felt as though someone took a burning hot poker and jabbed it under my ribcage and out my back and twisted twisted twisted.  I was pregnant when I had mine and that was 21 years ago so I just suffered for four months or so and then had them removed when my son was a month old.  It was outpatient surgery (23 hours in the hospital) and I felt better after about 2 days.

fnlyhappy65
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I was pregnant when I had mine and had to wait til after delivery to have them removed.  My surgeon basically said "if it tastes good, you can't eat it" to get me through the four months til surgery :(

Quoting Ms.Maaamaof2:

YEP! I know your pain.

We know that if we are having excruciating pain something is wrong, that is what WE KNOW.

Doctors know the body, and I will give them that, if it is not the gallbladder I am okay with that. BUT, with that said I want them to find out what it is if it isnt that, ya know?

I started tracking what was triggering it. Once it was bad I could not do  that because everything was a trigger. I found many foods I needed to avoid and I have done that.

Quoting mommyivy25:

Quoting Ms.Maaamaof2:

Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Next month will be 4 years since u git mine out. I never had any stones at all. Mine just quit working. I started having what they thought were stomach ulcer symptoms a few years prior and they put my on Prilosec and I felt better. Fast forward a couple years and I started having random intermittent episodes of nausea. It would happen out of nowhere. It finally got worse in Oct 2008 and progressed until I ended up losing 15 lbs in 6 weeks. They did tons of tests and one thing they checked was for stones but I didn't have any. The GI Dr finally suggested one more test which was a HIDA Scan and it showed that even though I had no stones, my gallbladder had stopped working and sometimes when I ate, it would try to work but couldn't and thats what causes the pain and nausea. I felt nauseous all the time for 2 months while they figured it out and went another 2 weeks before they for me in for surgery. Then after that, it took me 3 years to feel normal again. Those first 3 years, I still had mild nausea from time to time, had to be on Prilosec and would get gnawing pains in my stomach area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I had mine out years ago, my dd has also had hers removed, its not a bad surgery fairly quick recovery time

jessi740
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM

i have gallstones but i really don't want to get my gallbladder taken out. your gallbladder helps fight poisons. my moms boyfriend had his gallbladder takne out and when he gets mersa he is not able to fight it off without having to run down to the ER. i would find away to pass them naturally. i have heard drinking 4 ounces of olive oil can help pass them. that is what i am going to try.

Huera620
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I just had mine out in November. Quick surgery, fairly quick recovery (2 weeks). I had it done lapr. and occasionally the main incision still hurts. But overall, I'm feeling better :). Good luck PM if you have ant questions since it seems like I am the most recent patient
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)