Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mental Illness

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
Does your family have issues with mental illness?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
zoo003
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yes, there are those in my family who battle mental illness. 

divinemomma
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Yes, not immediate. I think everyone has some form of mental iilness in their family. It  maybe clinical depression or something more complex like schizophrenia.

earthangel1967
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

My mom has bipolar disorder but is well balanced on meds

My husband and I both have bipolar disorder but are well balanced on meds. I also have anxiety panic disorder and post traumatic stress disorder.

Of our 5 kids:

3 have bipolar disorder

and when they were growing up they all had adhd or add (that seems to have improved as they grew up especially the adhd)

They all have anxiety disorders

1 son has paranoid schizophrenia and the poor guy had it so bad and so young! He was having full blown visual and hearing hallucinations as young as only 2 yrs old. : ( It was very scary and very stressful and took them 11 yrs to properly diagnose him. He's 25 now and on disability but is doing remarkably well considering and lives independently.

My sister has schizo effective disorder.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

EthansFabMom
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM
I suffer from GAD( generalized anxiety disorder) I'm not crazy just nervous all the time and have panic attacks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fairegirl33
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

my DH is bipolar and ADHD

emarin77
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Yes, mom had Paranoid Schrizophrenia but passed away at 47 years.  I deal with some general anxiety.  Mother inlaw has ADD/depression and her daugter has general anxiety too.

IQuitCounting
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

My mother and eldest brother are both Schizophrenic.  The first handles it with grace; she understands it, acknowledges it and treats it with meds and therapy, the second denies it and will not follow through with treatment.

dylansmom08
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Yes I have ADD, depression, anxiety, PTSD, and panic attacks also my son has aspergers and adhd.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess829
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

My sister's biopolar.  She lives with my mom and we have not spoken in months.  She has completely torn our family apart.  My mom and I are not on speaking terms because of her.  She's on meds and is usually ok, but every two years or so she sundowns anyway.  The last time was it for me.  I can't help her if she does not want help.  I despise my mother for sticking up for the man that choked my sister when she did not deserve it.  Why my sister is living with the woman who told her she deserved it (when she did not) I'll never know.  Somehow I'm the bad guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)