Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your honest opinion on this?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • 32 Replies
Our 7 yr old daughter came home from school with a cell phone. She said a friend gave it to her. Well, later her dad asked where she got it and she said it was from a friend but told him a different name than she told me. I was suspicious from the very beginning but I got really suspicious when she told him a different name. Well, we told her to tell us the truth and she said that she found it out in the snow during recess. I told her that that us stealing and that she should have put it in the lost and found instead of taking it and claiming it as her own. Later she mentioned that her and a couple of friends found it. So, Im not sure what to believe but I made her take it and put it in the lost and found this morning. Last night hubby said that we should just take it and throw it back in the snow where it was. I feel like that's not teaching her very well. I feel that would have been the wrong thing to do. What is your opinion on this situation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM
5 moms liked this

I'd have turned it in like you did. I'd also be looking into how much my 7yo was lying to me.

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I think you did the right thing. If it belongs to someone in the school they will go there and looking for it. Leaving it out in the snow will ruin it and it may not be found by the person that lost it. Another child may take it like your daughter did.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Quoting furbabymum:

I'd have turned it in like you did. I'd also be looking into how much my 7yo was lying to me.

lillybug222
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Of course you should put it in the lost & found. Honestly, you should take it to the office.

And, your daughter should have consequences for being dishonest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM
If she found it at school than it needs to he turned in at the office. I wouldn't throw it in the lost and found like some ratty old sweatshirt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MiniMax
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I agree that putting it in the lost and found was the right thing to do... and it taught your dd the lesson of putting it some place safe until the owner can retrieve it.

CafeMom Tickers
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM
They have a big sign above the lost and found that says to return any and all found items here. So that's what we did.

Quoting bmw29:

If she found it at school than it needs to he turned in at the office. I wouldn't throw it in the lost and found like some ratty old sweatshirt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Im going to get her in to see a counselor. I am at a loss on what to do here.

Quoting furbabymum:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Trust me. She is in plenty of trouble for lying.

Quoting lillybug222:

Of course you should put it in the lost & found. Honestly, you should take it to the office.

And, your daughter should have consequences for being dishonest.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM

It makes more sense to put it somewhere that it can easily be claimed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)