Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommas of daughters 7 years or older. I need your help!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
I am literally at a loss on how to handle my daughter. The disrespect towards me is just ridiculous. I have tried so many things. Talking, yelling, spanking, grounding, taking things away to be earned back with good behavior, taken away things for good. Im getting her in to see a counselor. She listens to her father, respects him for the most part, but is terrible with me. I just dont know what to do any Im desperate for help. Things are getting worse the older she gets. Somewhere along the line I've messed up and created a monster. Please help me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MagicTemptation
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM
We have a strict household. What dad and I say goes. If we say we will do something we follow through EVERYTIME. House rules are hung up in the hallway. Disclipine varies based on kid and what was done. Different things have worked for different kids.

Can you give an example of what she is doing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Lots of talking back, telling me "no" when I tell her to do something. Like at this very moment, she is supposed to be cleaning her room and instead she is sitting on her bed saying, "I won't clean until you let me listen to music!". There are constant battles every.single.day! I feel like I've tried so much and nothing works.

Quoting MagicTemptation:

We have a strict household. What dad and I say goes. If we say we will do something we follow through EVERYTIME. House rules are hung up in the hallway. Disclipine varies based on kid and what was done. Different things have worked for different kids.

Can you give an example of what she is doing?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MagicTemptation
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Personally I would walk in there with a trash bag. Not say a word and start filling the bag with anything out of place. Clothes, shoes, toys, whatever. She could earn things back by doing something from the chore jar and good behavior. If one of mine is disrespecting their belongings I refuse to buy them anything until a full week of positive behavior.

If the two of you have been young around and around for awhile... have you sat down and had a true heart to heart with her? No yelling or stern tones. If you yell a lot they tend to just tune you out. But if you speak in a lower voice face to face you are usually heard. Yelling there is no communication.(my gut reaction is usually to yell so I have to try to control it) Telling my kids I am disappointed in them breaks their heart.

Make sure to do a lot of positive reenforcement as well. Most kids even if they don't say it Want their parents tobe happy. Bond with her. Nails, hair, whatever she likes. And talk to her and listen to what she says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM
I hate to be one of "those" people but I have done all of this and still do it. When I feel like screaming till Im blue in the face and Ill take the positive approach. Ill redirect her and try to have fun and she just continues with the attitude. I feel like she hates me. I want to talk to the counselor and ask for some good help.

Quoting MagicTemptation:

Personally I would walk in there with a trash bag. Not say a word and start filling the bag with anything out of place. Clothes, shoes, toys, whatever. She could earn things back by doing something from the chore jar and good behavior. If one of mine is disrespecting their belongings I refuse to buy them anything until a full week of positive behavior.

If the two of you have been young around and around for awhile... have you sat down and had a true heart to heart with her? No yelling or stern tones. If you yell a lot they tend to just tune you out. But if you speak in a lower voice face to face you are usually heard. Yelling there is no communication.(my gut reaction is usually to yell so I have to try to control it) Telling my kids I am disappointed in them breaks their heart.

Make sure to do a lot of positive reenforcement as well. Most kids even if they don't say it Want their parents tobe happy. Bond with her. Nails, hair, whatever she likes. And talk to her and listen to what she says.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookworm14
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

My boyfriend's 7yr old is picking up on that little attitude! She thinks she's being cute, when Dad tells her to do something and she doesn't wanna. Its annoying to see her picking up on this little attitude! She's too sweet to be acting like that! (Yes, I know, cuteness isn't a factor in the 'tude..) We're trying to reinforce that this little tone of voice isn't going to work and she needs to think twice. Not sure I have any ideas for you, just wanna wish you luck! I know what you're going through.

noahmommie2012
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM
tke everything from her. everythign out fo her room but er clothes bc she needs themt to g to school.dont let er do anything. no tv. n raido. no toys what so ever. she wwants someting to do have her read a book or be bored. ground her for about 2 weeks and slowly give back. everything from xmas dont let her play with them. let her dad know the rules so it not playing mom on dad and dad on mom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)