Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's The Best Marriage Or Relationship Advice You Were Ever Given

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a couple. One from my Mom who said "Only marry a man who knows how to fix things". Another was, only marry a man who you would be proud to have as a son.

What's the best advice you were given? You never know, it may help someone.

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Replies (221-230):
CheyJacksMom
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Nana always says
Commuincate Communicate Communicate
And hold your tongue in an argument. (as to NO name calling) You cant take back what is said even if you do apologize for it You still said it that mean nasty thought that was in your head came out and you cant put it back in without them hearing it.
I go to the marriage guru for advice Nanas been married for 50+ years.
Always go to those who are where you want to be or have done what your goals are in life. 50+ years with my hubby is a huge goal in my life. :)
Be commited because you made a commitment.
I saw a sign once it read ... Fewer marriages would fail if those who said I do. Did!
I honestly didnt get advice till after we were married because we got married the day after he turned 18 and his family wasnt even there. My mom and step-dad one of my brothers and my little sister were there as our witnesses
His mom was stuck on her high horse and said the they HAD to clean out there storage rental THAT day. So when I met his extended family I was already part of the family and Nana was the first one to welcome me with open arms. I love her sooooooo much.
Anyways She gives me and my hubby alot of advice and we take it to heart. We would like our marriage to somewhat mirrior Nana & Papas.
My advice is that. I wouldn't get marriage advice from someone whose been married many times.Or who is in a rocky marriage.
Its not how many times you go down the isle. Its how many years you've made that one time down the isle last.
JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Hehe...We do and I would agree.

Quoting KeeKee77:

From Sharon Osborne: have two separate bathrooms!

kmorales7690
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Be the relationship you would want your children to model theirs after! Also don't go into marriage thinking divorce is an option! Too many people do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jennb7111
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM
1 mom liked this
When my husband proposed, someone told us " don't marry someone u love, marry someone u like" so true! We've been married 15 yrs and I will always love him no matter what but our marriage wouldn't be worth anything if we didn't like each other!
Mama_Gleich
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I was never given any REAL advice for my marriage... I think the only advice I got was 'never go to bed angry'....

but I am married now and if I could pass on advice it would be, LAUGH every day with each other,always kiss, never use the D word, expect nothing and give all you have. :-) 

ms_danielle_j
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:46 AM
None at all ;-)
JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Have you learned anything on your own from observing their mistakes?
Quoting redbutterfly666:

iv honestly never gotten any advice......my parents didnt work, my dads 2rd marriage didnt work, and my moms jumped from guy to guy.....no one in my family on either sides can give me good advice it seems...

smokeyjo
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Twix.Leigh:

Given to my SO from a very drunk guy when I was pregnant "no matter how long you've been together, never stop chasing her, always act like you are still competition with someone else. Even when you marry her and been together years and years and your old and dying, treat her as though you've just met, and you need to win her affections. And always dance, even if there's no music. Slow, and close."
Goes both ways too.

I like that. A lot. My other half's father has told him and his brother to always say- I love you. Every day, several times a day. Why? Because she may have forgotten and even if she hasn't, she needs to hear it. So we always say I love you, everyday, several times a day.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM

What advice would you give your kids?

Quoting ms_danielle_j:

None at all ;-)

NakeshaMika
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:21 AM
1 mom liked this
This one is silly... When I was a teenager one of my friends dated this boy and he was the oldest of his siblings and she was the youngest. She made a joke that they get along great because since he was the oldest child, he could put up with a lot more and have more patience, and since she was the youngest child, a little more bratty, then he would put up with her. It's silly but it's true! I was so glad when my husband and I started dating and realized he was the oldest of his siblings (I am the baby of the family). It may be silly but he is so much more patient then I could ever be and I truly believe a big part of it was because he was the oldest of his family! :) Just some silly advice!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)