Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

What's The Best Marriage Or Relationship Advice You Were Ever Given

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a couple. One from my Mom who said "Only marry a man who knows how to fix things". Another was, only marry a man who you would be proud to have as a son.

What's the best advice you were given? You never know, it may help someone.

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Replies (241-250):
supercarp
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't ever allow him to treat you badly, and don't be mean to him. And never complain about him to your friends and family.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I totallay agree about learning from those that have what you want.

I love this line!

Quoting CheyJacksMom:
I saw a sign once it read ... Fewer marriages would fail if those who said I do. Did

Are things better with your in-laws now?

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Kinda keeps you in check and makes you see yourself as others do. Definitely makes you think. Thank you!

Quoting kmorales7690:

Be the relationship you would want your children to model theirs after!

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Funny how you can hear someone talking negatively about their partner and its pretty obvious that the "like" is gone.

Quoting Jennb7111:

When my husband proposed, someone told us " don't marry someone u love, marry someone u like" so true! We've been married 15 yrs and I will always love him no matter what but our marriage wouldn't be worth anything if we didn't like each other!

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

There's probably something to that, I don't think it's silly.

Quoting NakeshaMika:

This one is silly... When I was a teenager one of my friends dated this boy and he was the oldest of his siblings and she was the youngest. She made a joke that they get along great because since he was the oldest child, he could put up with a lot more and have more patience, and since she was the youngest child, a little more bratty, then he would put up with her. It's silly but it's true! I was so glad when my husband and I started dating and realized he was the oldest of his siblings (I am the baby of the family). It may be silly but he is so much more patient then I could ever be and I truly believe a big part of it was because he was the oldest of his family! :) Just some silly advice!

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I know I've blown it more than I would like. As long as the one the f's up learns something from whatever they did and doesn't do it again.
I hope everything is going better for you.

Quoting JennPearce:

My best friend told me " everyone f's up. You just have to be strong & forgive each other". Really helped me in a rough patch with dh this year.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

24 years! Great job, that's awesome!! Does it feel like it's been that long? My DH and I have been married 11 years and it feels like it's gone by so fast.

Quoting tinysmom160:

Marry a man that respects you and treats you like a queen is what my dad told me and that is what I did and been married for 24 years.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM

yeah...mean is not allowed in our marriage ever!

Quoting supercarp:

Don't ever allow him to treat you badly, and don't be mean to him. And never complain about him to your friends and family.

JennPearce
by Jenn! on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting JenniferW67:

Things are a million times better! Thank you! You are very right. As long as you learn from your screw ups & promise to not repeat them things usually work out. :) I'm happy to say forgiveness has been a true strength in our marriage :)
tinysmom160
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

some days it does and other it flies by!!!

Quoting JenniferW67:

24 years! Great job, that's awesome!! Does it feel like it's been that long? My DH and I have been married 11 years and it feels like it's gone by so fast.

Quoting tinysmom160:

Marry a man that respects you and treats you like a queen is what my dad told me and that is what I did and been married for 24 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN