Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

What's The Best Marriage Or Relationship Advice You Were Ever Given

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a couple. One from my Mom who said "Only marry a man who knows how to fix things". Another was, only marry a man who you would be proud to have as a son.

What's the best advice you were given? You never know, it may help someone.

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Replies (251-260):
Seximama89
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My grandma always said its better to be with someone who loves u more than u love them instead of being with someone who doesn't love u as much as u love them..

Quoting krayzbabylove:

I heard once that a women should marry a man who loves her more than she loves him. I never took the advice, but with my experiences, i feel like there may be something to this.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Daisyducc
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

A marriage is a marathon, not a sprint,

supermeof3
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I read this to my DH because I thought it was really cute and he said, "I just leave my stuff around the house...so you think of me everytime you see it" LMBO!   Of course he was kidding...I hope ;) LOL

Quoting Twix.Leigh:

Given to my SO from a very drunk guy when I was pregnant "no matter how long you've been together, never stop chasing her, always act like you are still competition with someone else. Even when you marry her and been together years and years and your old and dying, treat her as though you've just met, and you need to win her affections. And always dance, even if there's no music. Slow, and close."
Goes both ways too.

doneal
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Marriage is an institution in which a man loses his Bachelor's Degree and the woman gets her masters.  

A man that offers you his last is the man you want to marry.
CheyJacksMom
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh yes I was in the door as soon as I got pregnant which was a month after we were married. And believe me she did the math to make sure her son didnt HAVE to marry me. Its actually at the point where my FIL loves me so much and actually wishes I was his wife and hes made that comment on more then one occasion and also says he is jealous of his son and my MIL is irritated by our relatioship that we have becuse my FIL and I get along so well but I dont think hes ever let her know his true feelings on wanting me for his wife but she sees him flirt with me and she gets mad but we (me & her) have our moments where we get along and everything is fine. Its a weird situtation but my Hubby is the one who has the big head in all this because his brothers wife is more like his mom and so both his brother and dad always ask him why he got the better wife. lol

Quoting JenniferW67:
mamoore83
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Uggh I think we are going through this right now... I have always thought I was a "feminist" and that men and women are the same and anything that he can do I can do, and house work is for both of us not just me.  He really does help out, but he actually has recently said that he doesn't feel special anymore.  That hurt me more than anything becuase my actions are not showing him how special he is to me, and I know deep in my heart this is the first step in him pulling away from me and letting another woman make him feel special. 

This is really good advice and exactly what I need right now. 

Quoting anyuka75:

We went through a rough patch in our marriage when our kids were 3 and 5 years old.  I was in total "mommy mode" and my husband felt....well....neglected.  Not to say his actions of vearing from the marriage were right, but the best advice I was given was from my therapist.  She said:  "You always have to nurture and take care of your man --- every single day of married life together.  Make dinner!  Keep the house clean.  Have the fridge stocked up!  Ask him how his day was and just LISTEN". 

When she told me this, I was like....."WHAT THE HECK????"  I am busy and don't have time for this nonsense.  But it turns out, after some marriage therapy, that THESE were the things that were lacking for my husband and caused him to feel unappreciated in our life together.  Am I the perfect wife now?  NO!  But I am more aware that men are wired way differently than women.

Imdomsmom
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Our Pastor told us in marriage counseling. There will never be someone you have to forgive more than your spouse. You will have to forgive for small and big things. But you MUST forgive. Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone deserves to be forgiven.

dragongirl1012
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are fighting, go have sex. Sounds stupid, but that has ended a lot of arguments over 12 years.

GatorsWife4Life
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

When I left my ex husband my grandmother told me to always keep in mind that people change and we all change as we get older so you have to find that one person that you are okay with changing with. Thank God I found that. :)

MommyOfTheBest2
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
My parents told me it's important to laugh, have fun!
I agree with this, I have a lot of fun with my hubby and he makes me laugh even in my darkest moods. We're going on six years and still in the honeymoon phase :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)