Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's The Best Marriage Or Relationship Advice You Were Ever Given

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM
  • 269 Replies
6 moms liked this

I have a couple. One from my Mom who said "Only marry a man who knows how to fix things". Another was, only marry a man who you would be proud to have as a son.

What's the best advice you were given? You never know, it may help someone.

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmlmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM
9 moms liked this

The day before my wedding an elderly man from church told me "it's not 50/50 its 100/100..It takes both working at it 100% of the time" so true now soon to be 27 years later I can say soooo true! 50% wouldn't cut it.... 

My mom always said.."If her treats his mother good, then he'll treat his wife good" I believe this is right also! 

I've always said.... "don't start something you don't plan on doing the rest of your life" in a relationship, some like to "put on" their best behaviour before the wedding and then as soon as the "I do" it stops... Or They are treated poorly during the courtship and think it's magically going to get better because of a ring... and that is simple not so..if anything it gets worse..

iHay
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I don't think I've ever recieved advice in that way...

AlekD
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM
12 moms liked this
Don't say the D word. Don't even think it. Work on your marriage, don't just give up on it at the first sign of trouble.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I love the 100% advice. It's so true. 27 years?! Congratulations! You're doing something right!

Quoting jmlmomma:

The day before my wedding an elderly man from church told me "it's not 50/50 its 100/100..It takes both working at it 100% of the time" so true now soon to be 27 years later I can say soooo true! 50% wouldn't cut it.... 

My mom always said.."If her treats his mother good, then he'll treat his wife good" I believe this is right also! 

I've always said.... "don't start something you don't plan on doing the rest of your life" in a relationship, some like to "put on" their best behaviour before the wedding and then as soon as the "I do" it stops... Or They are treated poorly during the courtship and think it's magically going to get better because of a ring... and that is simple not so..if anything it gets worse..

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Nothing? Not even, don't go to bed angry?

Quoting iHay:

Twix.Leigh
by Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM
44 moms liked this
Given to my SO from a very drunk guy when I was pregnant "no matter how long you've been together, never stop chasing her, always act like you are still competition with someone else. Even when you marry her and been together years and years and your old and dying, treat her as though you've just met, and you need to win her affections. And always dance, even if there's no music. Slow, and close."
Goes both ways too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anyuka75
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM
7 moms liked this

We went through a rough patch in our marriage when our kids were 3 and 5 years old.  I was in total "mommy mode" and my husband felt....well....neglected.  Not to say his actions of vearing from the marriage were right, but the best advice I was given was from my therapist.  She said:  "You always have to nurture and take care of your man --- every single day of married life together.  Make dinner!  Keep the house clean.  Have the fridge stocked up!  Ask him how his day was and just LISTEN". 

When she told me this, I was like....."WHAT THE HECK????"  I am busy and don't have time for this nonsense.  But it turns out, after some marriage therapy, that THESE were the things that were lacking for my husband and caused him to feel unappreciated in our life together.  Am I the perfect wife now?  NO!  But I am more aware that men are wired way differently than women.

jmlmomma
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Drunk or not I love this! He was a wise man! 

Quoting Twix.Leigh:

Given to my SO from a very drunk guy when I was pregnant "no matter how long you've been together, never stop chasing her, always act like you are still competition with someone else. Even when you marry her and been together years and years and your old and dying, treat her as though you've just met, and you need to win her affections. And always dance, even if there's no music. Slow, and close."
Goes both ways too.

janinefall.jpg picture by lovestarbucks54

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oooooh...yeah, I was guilty of this in my first marriage and in the beginning of this one. This is extremely good advice. I've matured a lot and have learned to hold my tongue when I'm really angry. Luckily, Dh and I haven't had a blow up, blow out in about seven years. I can't imagine throughing the D word around anymore. I'm grateful he never did, even though I kind of deserved it.

Quoting AlekD:

Don't say the D word. Don't even think it. Work on your marriage, don't just give up on it at the first sign of trouble.

iHay
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Not that I remember. Only nonsense like "never go to bed angry, stay up and plot your revenge".  But I don't remember anything serious.

Quoting JenniferW67:

Nothing? Not even, don't go to bed angry?

Quoting iHay:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)