Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Gift from DH and kids that I hate

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM
  • 93 Replies

I am not a materialistic person but my DH and kids got me a coach purse for Christmas.   I  just cant bring myself to use it.  I only carry small purses and this one is big and its got to be the ugliest purse I ever saw.  I really hated it but I know its the thought that counts.   I didnt tell him I thought it was ugly I just said I wasnt used to big purses.   My son said we hand picked that for you.  I feel bad.   Is it wrong to want to exchange it?  My Dh said it has a lifetime warranty... I am thinking great I have to carry it forever!!  I would rather have the money  for groceries seriously.  Should I suck it up and use the ugly thing to make them all happy???

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetsouthrnMom
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM
7 moms liked this

Awe that melted my heart to read that your son said they hand picked it for you! Obviously your husband and children tried exceptionally hard to hand pick something special for you.I am sorry you are having trouble adjusting to the purse and you find yourself even hating it... If I was in your position I would put on a happy face and try to find something I liked about it, and then appreciate the fact that everyone in your family tried hard to pick something for you. I know it isn't what YOU would have chosen for yourself, but isn't that what Christmas is all about?

grumpyboston
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Take it back get something u would use. Lifetime warranty isnt needed if it sits in closet
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM
12 moms liked this
I would never exchange a present that my kids picked out for me. I mean I know it's not exactly your taste but sometimes that happens when other people are picking out a gift for you. Smile, say thank you and use it once in awhile. It doesn't have to become your new everyday bag but I do think you should keep it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Awww....that's sweet that they took the time to really pick something out for you.  I know it may not be your style, but maybe make an effort to use it once in a while.  It doesn't have to be your everyday bag, but you can take it out occasionally.  It's really the thought behind it that counts.  As for the lifetime warranty - don't even sweat that...in case it breaks or gets damaged, Coach will try to fix it for you is all that is...or maybe even try to replace it. 

tiredmama42
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I feel bad because they tried so hard.  I didnt add the part that it was way over our budget and cant afford groceries this week.  So I am really struggling of the right thing to do.  Common sense is really what I am leaning towards.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I have five Coach purses, post a pic of it, let's see how "ugly" it is.

Seriously, he bought you a $300 plus purse to make you happy, (as long as it's not an outlet version), that is pretty sweet.

LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Ehhh...if it was just hubby that got it, Id say take it back or throw it away. But.....your kid said they picked it out for you and I could never get rid of anything my kids workedhard to get me. Id suck it up and use it.

just_hc
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Let's see this ugly purse. I got a coach purse for Christmas also.  I love mine!  But I love Coach purses.  I can't imagine one being ugly.

tristansmom74
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Aww... How sweet about the kids. Try not to look at the purse, when you look at just see a great big bag made out if love.
If it was from DH i would return it, but from the kids- never.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Julee022
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Take it back, get a cheap purse, and use the rest of the money to buy groceries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)