Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Gift from DH and kids that I hate

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not a materialistic person but my DH and kids got me a coach purse for Christmas.   I  just cant bring myself to use it.  I only carry small purses and this one is big and its got to be the ugliest purse I ever saw.  I really hated it but I know its the thought that counts.   I didnt tell him I thought it was ugly I just said I wasnt used to big purses.   My son said we hand picked that for you.  I feel bad.   Is it wrong to want to exchange it?  My Dh said it has a lifetime warranty... I am thinking great I have to carry it forever!!  I would rather have the money  for groceries seriously.  Should I suck it up and use the ugly thing to make them all happy???

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Replies (31-40):
Momoftwinkies
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM
I would exchange it. I have seen some ugly coach purses and I have seen some beautiful ones.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Its up to you what you decide to do

xoxRachelxox
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I would suck it up and use it. Especially if my son said that! I couldn't hurt his feelings like that.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly this. I don't care what the item is, if my daughter handpicked something for me because she wanted me to have it, I'd keep it my whole life!

Quoting sweetsouthrnMom:

Awe that melted my heart to read that your son said they hand picked it for you! Obviously your husband and children tried exceptionally hard to hand pick something special for you.I am sorry you are having trouble adjusting to the purse and you find yourself even hating it... If I was in your position I would put on a happy face and try to find something I liked about it, and then appreciate the fact that everyone in your family tried hard to pick something for you. I know it isn't what YOU would have chosen for yourself, but isn't that what Christmas is all about?

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Preschoolers (Owner), First Time Moms (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually really feel for you and the difficult position you are in, I HATE coach purses I think they are all ugly (sorry coach purse lovers no offense intended ) also I would cringe at how much it probably cost too since there are sooooo many things I'd rather have for even half that much money.

I don't know what to tell you, it's a hard position to be in but for the future to help prevent such a thing from happening again, do what I suggested to my hubby and what we do now with great success. Exchange wish lists, you make the wish lists long enough so that whatever they pick off the list you are still surprised bc you have no idea what item or items they are going to pick however you know you will love it and they will love what they get from their list too bc they asked for it. We send ours by email and include links to specific item and size and color or whatever as well so  all the gifts are perfect and everyone is happy and feels good about it all the way around.

Good luck

View Full Size Image YVONNE

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I'll take it. I love big bags.

babybuddafly
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
How about you explain to your kids about the "size" of it. Go back w them to the store & show them a few that fit your style better and obviously smaller means less expensive. That way they feel extra special they still ended up picking out the final choice and secretly you got what you want and maybe some left over cash for this weeks groceries?? :) I would never just return it for nothing though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jasyoung2012
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM

The only way I would return something is if I needed a size bigger or smaller, but not for anything except for clothes...

2lilmamas
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Aww I say keep it. It comes with good intentions your kids picked it out.
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:04 AM

I'd have to be practical and return it, spending hundreds of dollars on a purse is silly unless you're wealthy. It was a very sweet gesture but not smart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN