Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Gift from DH and kids that I hate

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not a materialistic person but my DH and kids got me a coach purse for Christmas.   I  just cant bring myself to use it.  I only carry small purses and this one is big and its got to be the ugliest purse I ever saw.  I really hated it but I know its the thought that counts.   I didnt tell him I thought it was ugly I just said I wasnt used to big purses.   My son said we hand picked that for you.  I feel bad.   Is it wrong to want to exchange it?  My Dh said it has a lifetime warranty... I am thinking great I have to carry it forever!!  I would rather have the money  for groceries seriously.  Should I suck it up and use the ugly thing to make them all happy???

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Replies (81-90):
ibelieveinpink
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting babybuddafly:

How about you explain to your kids about the "size" of it. Go back w them to the store & show them a few that fit your style better and obviously smaller means less expensive. That way they feel extra special they still ended up picking out the final choice and secretly you got what you want and maybe some left over cash for this weeks groceries?? :) I would never just return it for nothing though :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sue1605
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I understand how you feel. Like some of the others have suggested, you could make the "size" a reason and take them with you to choose a smaller one. Another thought is to look online for an identical knock off (or authentic ), and buy it for a whole lot less and return the original one to pocket the money. I have done that and nobody knows the difference! Personally, I cannot physically carry purses that are big and heavy with all the bells and whistles that I do not care for anyway and now all of them know to get me lighter stuff.

GatorsWife4Life
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I honestly would use it cause my kids and dh picked it out for me. Yeah, it may not be your taste but if they are that proud (as they should be, it's a expensive gift!!) then I would not crush them by changing it or taking it back. That's just me though. To each their own.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM

My husband got me a coach purse and I didn't like it at first either but my DD was excited she got to pick it out so I started using it...after awhile I grew to love it.

tiredmama42
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Here is the picture of the one I took back.  Maybe its the gold on it , I think if it were silver I would like it better.

My son told me he he didnt like it either so my DH let me exchange it and got over 100.00 back.  I had a hard time picking another one out.  I dont think I am a coach fan..

namestaken
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Smile and use it
tiredmama42
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Quoting beatlelovermom:

I got nothing for Christmas because my husband is out of work and my job supports us. I wish I had this problem.

I am sorry :(    We couldnt afford it thats what was so upsetting and I didnt like it.  So to spend that much on something and leave us broke was very upsetting.  I am in the same boat.. he is hardly working so I have been supporting us too. 

i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:00 AM
I think it's sweet that they did that. I would simply tell my husband is all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
That stuff shouldn't be wasted.
That there is to much waste on our planet.
That not everyone is going to like everything, but that they are still loved no matter what.
That that poor animal wasn't slaughtered in vain!

Quoting Mars06:

What message would it send to your child if you returned it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
That's ugly,lol, love the thought they put into it, and love that he's mature enough to not take it personally, and let you actually get something YOU like and WILL use, instead of sitting collecting co webs in a closet!
Not a coach fan here either!

Quoting tiredmama42:

Here is the picture of the one I took back.  Maybe its the gold on it , I think if it were silver I would like it better.

My son told me he he didnt like it either so my DH let me exchange it and got over 100.00 back.  I had a hard time picking another one out.  I dont think I am a coach fan..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)