Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Can you say it too much?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Can you say I love you too much to your SO/Husband/Wife?

Options:

Yes

No

Other, I'll explain in a comment.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

Is it possible to say I love you too much to your husband/SO? I didn't think so, but apparently it is. I say it too often and it loses meaning. Not to me, but apparently to him. I am kind of hurt and want to know what you all think. Can you say it too much?

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ang9403
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

No, never.

iHay
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Yes, it can't be something you say constantly. IMO. Also, words alone mean nothing.

Kes1s
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Yes.  It's like if you tell the dog to sit when you don't really want him to sit and you don't really make sure the action 'sit' happens every time you give the command.  Eventually the dog stops sitting when you say sit because you deprogrammed the word. 

You made "I love you" mean "hey could you pick up some milk on your way home" or just "hi and bye" and the thrill of those words gets lost in the mundania of the actions you surrounded them with.  They got turned into something less sacred.

If you could meaningfully substitute the words "I do" for every place you now say I love you - at the opposite end of the spectrum, attaching deep meaning and action to them those words suddenly get a little more sacred.

We have to be careful with words to not cheapen that which is precious to us.

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

We realized awhile back that we had started saying "I love you" alot and the other would respond by saying it back even when the first wasn't saying it. It was kind of robotic. It had become more of a passive habit without much emotion put behind it. We would say it several times a day, and many of the times we weren't looking at each other, it was just kind of in passing. We changed that and now when we say it, we know there is more emotion and thought with it. 

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

No.  Never.

beeky
by Alexandra on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I said other because there is a big difference between saying it every day and sounding needy or clingy.

SurgarPuff
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Thank you all for your opinions on the matter, I appreciate the outside perspective. I agree on the note that there is a difference between saying the words and meaning them. Maybe the issue at hand is that we both show their meaning in a different way? Because they always have meaning for me, always. That's why I wasn't aware one could say it too much.

swthrt737
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Yes,though i use more actions e.g ironing his clothes,sex,good food,mean all that wc pleases him.

Quoting iHay:

Yes, it can't be something you say constantly. IMO. Also, words alone mean nothing.

swthrt737
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM

BUMP!

pittymama
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM

i don't think you can say it too much but i also think you should show it also. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)