Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

My confession for today.

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM
  • 10 Replies
I would love to lock my daughter away in her room for the day. Grrrrr. Im tired of feeling like I have a teen already. She's only 7! Attitude with a capital A. Doesn't want to listen to a thing I say. Screams at me. The way she treats me and the disrespect she has towards me is beyond belief. I would have literally been beaten to a pulp for talking and acting the way she does. I guess I need to get meaner and stricter. There's a New Years resolution.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nsparky1964
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Tough love now momma, of you'll have a horribly disrespectful teen that has a HUGE sense of entitlement
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Yup...its time to up the annie (however that's spelled...ha). My sweet little girl has turned into a monster. I guess I've been too lenient in her little life.

Here's an example of how things escalated this morning. She was playing with a really beautiful and nice blanket I got for Xmas. It means a lot to me. I told her to put it back where I had it. She just laid there. So I took the blanket off of her and put it away. She got pissy with me. Then she went and grabbed her little brothers color wonder pad and was pouring the water out of the pen on the pad. I told her that she knows better than that. I told her she can't pour the water out of the pen, she needs to draw with the pen. Well she decided not to listen so I told her to put it back in his room. She stomped away and put it in his room. Then comes out and says, "There's nothing to do!". Mind you, she just got a bunch of new stuff for Xmas. You can see where this is going. It just got worse from there. This is an everyday occurrence. Every.single.day. What do I do??

Quoting nsparky1964:

Tough love now momma, of you'll have a horribly disrespectful teen that has a HUGE sense of entitlement

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomRocs1102
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Time for the tough love, my son is being a little rude himself.  He was grounded for a week of no toys(he almost lost his mind).

SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Yeah, its def time. If I dont fix this now, hoping its not too late, then I will have a horrible teenager. I just dont know where to begin. Im going to look for books/dvds. Im kind of lost on what to do. What I want to do is considered illegal. (Enter sarcasm here).

Quoting MomRocs1102:

Time for the tough love, my son is being a little rude himself.  He was grounded for a week of no toys(he almost lost his mind).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

lol....my siz year old pulled that "theres nothing to do" right after her bday. I walked to her room and started slowly pitching her new things into a trash bag. I got about 2 small things in before she apologized right quick and hasnt dared since. And I did follow through with tossing the toys that made it into the bag

Start with something she just got, isnt expensive, and isnt nessesarily her fav and move slowly from there. Works like a charm :)

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Yup...its time to up the annie (however that's spelled...ha). My sweet little girl has turned into a monster. I guess I've been too lenient in her little life.

Here's an example of how things escalated this morning. She was playing with a really beautiful and nice blanket I got for Xmas. It means a lot to me. I told her to put it back where I had it. She just laid there. So I took the blanket off of her and put it away. She got pissy with me. Then she went and grabbed her little brothers color wonder pad and was pouring the water out of the pen on the pad. I told her that she knows better than that. I told her she can't pour the water out of the pen, she needs to draw with the pen. Well she decided not to listen so I told her to put it back in his room. She stomped away and put it in his room. Then comes out and says, "There's nothing to do!". Mind you, she just got a bunch of new stuff for Xmas. You can see where this is going. It just got worse from there. This is an everyday occurrence. Every.single.day. What do I do??

Quoting nsparky1964:

MomRocs1102
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Its not to late shes still young.  Take away what she loves my son loves his toys and games.  We cleared his room out, he still has Christmas toys in the top of  closet that he cant have yet.  We also just put rules up for attitude, and listening to me, because it seems i am the only one he ignores, and gives attitude.  He is only 8 i tell him his attitude has to get better, hes listening better now, I will continue to do this until he realizes we aren't playing with him.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Yeah, its def time. If I dont fix this now, hoping its not too late, then I will have a horrible teenager. I just dont know where to begin. Im going to look for books/dvds. Im kind of lost on what to do. What I want to do is considered illegal. (Enter sarcasm here).

Quoting MomRocs1102:

pregnancy calendar
SuperMom2433
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM
This sounds like what Im going thru! She's great with everyone else but she likes to push me and hard. She's actually put her hand up a few times like she's going to hit me. She hasn't followed thru with it but I dont take it lightly. That is where things get serious. I've taken her favorite things away to be earned back. She does great to earn them back and then it's right back to the bad behavior. I have threatened to jeep the things and give them to more deserving children, ones who dont have anything. She just shrugs it off. For a few of my resolutions Im going to start a chore chart and also your idea for the rules. Im going to google different ideas for these charts. I gotta kick this in the butt now because Im losing my mind and patience.

Quoting MomRocs1102:

Its not to late shes still young.  Take away what she loves my son loves his toys and games.  We cleared his room out, he still has Christmas toys in the top of  closet that he cant have yet.  We also just put rules up for attitude, and listening to me, because it seems i am the only one he ignores, and gives attitude.  He is only 8 i tell him his attitude has to get better, hes listening better now, I will continue to do this until he realizes we aren't playing with him.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Quoting MomRocs1102:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MagicTemptation
by Christina on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM

It seems like you have been to soft on her and she doesn't take what you say seriously. You have to be consistant. With mine being 8,8,6,5,3, and 2 I rarely have days where I feel like I am at my wits end. My kids know if I say I am going to do something, I follow through. I don't give second chances to the older 4. They know the rules, they know not to be disrepectful. I have in the past walked into one of their rooms with a trash bag and started pitching anything that wasn't in its place. That bag stayed put up for two months. One of my daughter left her wet bathing suit on the ground, she couldn't go swimming for those two months bc she lost her suit... If I say I will tan their hide if they do something, they know I mean it. If SO or I are with the kids somewhere, we can call "Fall In" and every one of them will line up, oldest to youngest. I know this makes me sound like a hard ass. But I know I can take all my children someone, like a restraunt and not have any issues with them. I know that they will treat each other and their belonging correctly. I assign a chore list for the week that I hang in the hallway. Every day they have a chore or two to do, and it is done within 15 minutes. Along side that list is our house rules and consequences. It works well for us. At home we allow the kids alot of freedom and give them their space as long as they aren't mistreating anyone or anything. It took a while to get this system in place, but now things are so much easier and they rarely get into any type of trouble now. 

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The best parenting advice and help I ever got in raising our 5 (3 who have bipolar disorder and 1 who has paranoid schizophrenia so much more challenging at times than the average children they would be perfect angels a good part of the time but could suddenly switch without warning to the point you'd literally think they were possessed during which time they were having a chemical imbalance episode so partly not at fault BUT I still had to use positive discipline bc cant use illness as excuse for bad behavior- see how tricky!)

Anway.... I can not reccomend Highly enough the books and or dvds of Parenting with Love and Logic (and then when they are tweens get Parenting Teens with Love and Logic. Not only do they work incredibly well when followed consistently with regular kids, they even work with special needs kids like I had, as a matter of fact they use the approaches they teach in adolescent pyschiatric units to help with the patients behaviors and encourage the parents to learn it for home. They also use them in homes for troubled youth in some cases. So just imagine how well it works for average children/teens.

Our 5 are all young adults now and they said looking back they knew the positive discipline we used was fair and respectful and made sense and the consequences fit the crime and taught them lifeskills and important lessons not just "punished them for vengeance so to speak" they said  if they ever have kids they plan to use the same thing and also they all turned out to be EXCEPTIONAL awesome young adults.

You can sometimes find them for free at your local library or you can order them very affordably on amazon.

good luck : )

View Full Size Image YVONNE

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Oh 2 other books I read, loved and found helpful with our 5 were

How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen and LIsten So Your Kids Will Talk (sounds like common sense but is a fun and even sometimes comical easy read and makes some really good points we may not just naturally think of )

and by the same authors of that book is

SIblings Without Rivalry

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)