Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spin-off!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
All this divorce talk. Share your SUCCESS stories here. When you were on the verge of being a single mom- what saved your marriage? Give a bit of background.

***this is NOT to make divorced mothers feel bad, its for the mothers to reflect on their lives. No one has the same trials, no one has the same strengths or weaknesses. Everyone's lives are different!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GremlinMom
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a 22 year old SAHM to 21 month old twin boys and a 7 month old boy. Busy life yes? My DH has been less than helpful in the past. He's been cruel and took his stress out on me. The man has 3 kids, lol, and is the provider for us all. He's got a lot of stress. We were too high strung after DS3 was born. Tired, too. We could not stop fighting in front of the kids :( we tried therapy but then schedules clashed and we had to stop. He had been sleeping on the couch for almost two weeks and was packing to go to his moms. I had been thinking alll day. I felt the strength to stop him from leaving. I asked him to give it one more night and we would talk tomorrow. My sister watched the kids while we talked. I told him I was going to start on the love dares. That it wasn't about fixing us, it was for me. I wanted to love him again but *I* was getting in the way. I didn't understand love anymore. He agreed to work on his issues too, mainly handling stress better. After just a week of the dares I felt so much better. He has actually been working on the stress and because I CAN care about him its easy to let slip ups go and move on. We apologize a lot at night. We hug and kiss before work again. Most important, our kids haven't seen us fight in almost 2 months. I am working on a craft for our bedroom that says For better or worse. I hung pictures of us dating and our wedding pictures up in our room. A visual reminder of how much we care about each other.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gmgej
by Michele on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM

There have been talk of seperating on and off for the last few years in our marriage. Our determination to keep our marriage alive has been hard and rewarding. I love my husband and for us long term commitment has been worth it.

gr8d8n3mom
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM

In May of 2013 my parents will be married 53 yrs! My mom kisses my dad good night every night(he stays up later than she does) &  when dad gets up every morning he kisses her good morning.  They have 5 children, 7 grand children,2 great grand daughters with 2 more great great grands on the way, 1 we know is a boy.

I know they had their fights, my dad has told me about 1 argument where he told my mom if she didn't like it, (he threw a suit case on the bed,) said pack her crap and get the hell out! He worked a job where he was gone from home every other night. I think that might have actually helped their marriage. Now they have sold our family house, have a huge motor home and travel together!

My DH and I will be(have been) together 5 yrs Jan.18,2013. We married in June of 2010. Not a first marriage for either of us.We are very openwith each other, and communicate, he lets me vent and pace! LOL,We know our mistakes from the past, and know what we want from each other and our marriage..  We will not be having children together, just getting thru his youngest growing up, and finishing off the child support and no longer having to deal with the X wife is the goal. Then time for us. We have 2 grand daughters(my oldest daughter is married and has 2 beautiful girls)

planning a wedding

somewhere91
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM

We haven't really ever come close to divorcing or even seperating, but then, we've only been married for 3 years, 4 in May. 

by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM

We have never been close either. We take our vows seriously and treat each other with respect and love and patience (most of the time!). We put our family first and try to put each other first, as much as our 2 little kids will allow these days. We keep things in perspective knowing that all is temporary and things constantly change. 

i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM
When I was pregnant with our second son (our kids are 20 months apart so super close) we had been having problems. When Austin was born he had TONS of medical issues and it felt like we were giving up. I had postpartum very very bad and thought that it was my fault my son's medical issues came about. He spent 58 days in the NICU before he was able to come home. I was living with my parents when he came home away from DH. We had a lot of issues but we worked it out because we love each other
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ryryab
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I've never been on the verge of being a single mom, because I'm barely a mom at all, I'm just pregnant with our first. But there have been a few things that had the potential to break us up, before we ever really got started. We managed to get through it with help from others, and our own determination that, damn it, we were meant for each other and we were going to make it work. And here we are :) 2 years after we met, living together, crazy in love, and expecting our first child (unplanned, but what are you gonna do? :)

merryvoice
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Well we didn't have a child at the time, but we did very nearly get divorced. We were fighting quite a bit and honestly, I don't even remember what the fights were about now! It was so long ago. Most of it was that we were both so very bad at communicating. Basically we just sat down and talked and worked through it. We decided to go to counseling together and that saved our marriage. 

Every now and then we have communication issues still, but it isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. 

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband file for a divorce a couple of time. But he never went through with it. He loves me to much to give up on me

BKozICan
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM

We were getting ready to separate eight years ago. I was packing and dh came to me crying and asked if there was any way to salvage it. We did six months of marriage counseling and it saved us. Seems we loved each other too much to "hurt" the other if they did something that bothered us. So we swallowed a lot of "pissed off" and it festered. Now, he'll do something to annoy me, I'll flip him off and we both start laughing. He gets the message that it bothered me, but no big deal about it. 

I find that our marriage suffers if I am profoundly unhappy. Not, "Wahhh I didn't get my way" unhappy, I mean "not happy in the aimlessness of my life" kind of unhappy. We have two kids--one born with a kidney deformiy and urinary issues and one with autism. I have a moderate case of ADHD. Life is not easy and it is not easy for any of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)