Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

After christmas i got a bunch of picture frames on sale, none are christmas but since they were sold as christmas items they were real cheap. im doing a kind of collage on my living room wall and in the center has a sign that says "FAMILY, a journey to forever. Well one of the frames i got was a cute blue frame that has alittle airplane and says "the boys" In the frame I planned on putting a picture of my son and his soon to be new brother (from his father, my ex husband.) My SO freaked out and said that it wasnt right, because the kid is not ours. To me, the boy is my sons brother. Just because he is not technically MY family, he is my sons and will always be. To me that is family. Me and my exhusband and his wife are close, and I do see them as family.

My So said I might as well hang a picture of them on the wall. No, i would not, to me that would be a weird. As much as I see them as family, there not that kind of family. But I just dont see how a picture of my son and his brother is wrong. My So said its a reminder of my ex. i just thought that was silly, because if thats the case isnt my son a reminder? Of coarse Im going to rember my ex, we were married and we have a child together, but to me if the picture of the boys reminds me of anything it would be how blessed we all are. We were miserable while married, and have since both found someone new that is perfect for each of us, and we have both had more kids that we love. My ex and his wife were nothing but supportive when I gave birth to my daughter, they bought her things, and even help watch her for a minute if i need to run to the store while my SO is at work. I understand we aren't the normal, divorced family. Maybe THAT does make us weird. Sometimes i think my SO is just jelous because himand his ex (who he has a daughter with) have been divorced even longer and still cant even be in the same room together....Anyways (back on topic) I just dont see the issue, the wall isnt just of our kids. Its all kinds of family and friends. So why is my sons brother not allowed?

Am I crazy, is it weird for me to do that?  

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

id hang brothers pics....

i wouldnt hang a pic of my ex though...

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I don't know

motha2daDuchess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

It'd be fine to put a pic of the stb lil brother in his room, but on your family wall? no

bcauseimthemom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I think it is a wonderful thing for you to do. That child is still your son's brother.  Your husband is being a jealous asshole.

Kes1s
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I think I would respect my spouses right to be a little insecure about your wonderful relationship with your ex.  I might even mentally mark off some boundaries that make him uncomfortable.  This sounds like it is a below the surface issue that could come back to haunt you.

I would have issues watching my husband putting up pictures of his exes kid and the child he has with someone else.  He has no connection to that image other than the child he is trying to be a second dad to.  Pictures like that could go a long way to making him feel like a third wheel. 

Helping him have a strong relationship with your son might be helped by taking the picture of the step brother out and putting his picture in.  They are YOUR boys. 

I would be hurt if my mans mind was that deep in a family that was not mine.

Anryan
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

i don't see an issue with it but if he does, and it were me, then i would put a pic of him and your son in "the boys" frame...you son could always have a pic of his brother in his room.  Just my 2 cents.

midjet117
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I think he's being childish. That's your son's brother. I would think if you guys are as close as you say you all are, your So shouldn't have a problem
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lynnd4
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM
They are brothers, end of story. No, I don't think you're wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ElizabethGracie
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Is it a half sibling or step sibling?

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

my4loves4
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Quoting hollydaze1974:

That's insane on his part. " half" siblings are SIBLINGS. I've no clue what his problem is. It's really rude to make the " half" a huge deal, it's hurtful to make that separation.

i know! Me and both my brothers are only half, but ive never seen them that way, there my brothers just as much as if they were full. Plus I just had another daughter, which would just make her his "half" sister, but that dosent make them any less sibilings

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN