Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do with...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 18 Replies

Sorry i have so many questions tonight, but havent had internet for a couple weeks so i have alot built up i need advice for lol!!!

After me and my exs divorce I got rid of most things that had anything to do with our marriage. but I kept the engraved dinner set from my grandparents (which i know they spent a fortune on), and a small handmade crocheted thing from my great grandma, that says what was our last name. I just couldnt part from these things because of who they were from.

ive had them both tucked away in the closet, but me and my SO are soon to be moving and im worried if he finds them hes not going to understand.

Should I just suck it up and get rid of them, even though it may be one of the last things they give to me.  Or do you think i should take the risk of him getting mad? im just not sure whats right or wrong here.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelissaMaye
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely do not get rid of them. If he is a good guy, and he is deserving of you, he will understand.
Maybe the dinner set you could get rid of, but not anything handmade. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Jenn_A
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Do you have a son or nephew(ex, I know) who will keep that last name? You can keep them for one of the boys.

doulala
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

How about you store them at your mom's/sister's/cousin's/BFF's house for a while?

my4loves4
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Quoting Jenn_A:

Do you have a son or nephew(ex, I know) who will keep that last name? You can keep them for one of the boys.

My son, but the dish set has our full names and the date we were married and all that kind of stuff.

Jenn_A
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

It will still be a keepsake for your children. I have all my pics from my first wedding for my kids, and several gifts, ect. My sister has pics of her dad and our moms wedding, a few inscibed glasses and towels and such. She was 2 years old when they split, so it isn't that she remembers anything. It just means something that at one point her parents loved each other.....

pittymama
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

hmmm maybe tell him ahead of time? and if he's upset *at the time*, tell him you will store them away for a while? he will eventually come around if they're important to you!

JeremysMom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If he gets upset over something as silly as that, I would seriously question if you should be moving in together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrssummerlin
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I think you should show them to him and explain WHY you kept them.

If he is a decent man then he will understand that, yes, you do in fact have a past and those things meant a lot to you and that will be the end of it.

my4loves4
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Quoting JeremysMom:

If he gets upset over something as silly as that, I would seriously question if you should be moving in together.

we have lived together for over a year, but he moved into my place, were looking to get a bigger house together. but he always gets upset when he finds things, alot of things i didnt even know i still had. This house was origanally mine and my exs so alot  of his stuff is still in back of closet and stuff.

ibelieveinpink
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I think you should talk to him about them ahead of time and why they're important to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)