Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Identity Theft how nice of you too make another appearance!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 2 Replies

For several years I have been fighting numerous idenity theft cases. The problem is that most people dont realize is that fighting it is extremely hard and costly. My SS# is now flagged however... in todays world credit collection companies happily buy lots of accounts, even ones that credit cards have flagged as frued (My lawyer once figured that there are at least 65 accounts taken out in my name, and could have been used by as many as 150 illegals). One the collection company has the account you have to start all over, file a new police report (because most the time it now has a secondary account #), send it to them, which in my experience they tend to ignore. Well recently in the last 2 or 3 years I've started getting sued by collections for these accounts that are not mine. Why? Well very simply put because on my credit report I pay all my bills, on time and every month. So they think (and I was told this by a magistrate) well, obviously she must have hit hard times... she makes money now so we can get this paid.  Collections don't care who or how it gets paid they just want money. There proof at court is my social number and name thats it. They can't show where I made purchases (or was in the hospital go figure), they cant show what address I had cable at, or in one case... which my lawyer couldn't believe went in there favor... WHAT KIND of car I "bought". Even though it was never registared in my name and bought at a cheap used car lot in Alabama (I'm in MI, and have had the same car for 12 years). 

So this morning my door bell rings, I answer and its an agent of the court serving me with papers for a credit card in the amount of $9,873.83. I turn around and call the lawyer right away who tells me that he will make some calls and to drop the papers off with him. Well he calls the other lawyers, who tell him its a credit card, they are representing the 7th, collection agency and they had send numerous letters to my address in DETROIT... I haven't lived in Detroit since I was 9 years old and the riots happened. Not to mention its not even in the same area of the city I was born in. Ok, so then he finds out the card was taken out online (not new to hear), and that it was sent to the address in Detroit. Well he happened to have to go to court downtown and drove by the  now VACANT lot the collection agency claimed to have sent letters to. Ok, so where did they get my current address? The lawyers did, so I didn't even have time to go get a new police report for this collection agency.

My lawyer went and filed a motion that the collection amount was not mine, proof that my SS# had been used in numerous Idenity Theft accounts (all opened very quickly in a short span). But.... he told me to be prepared to lose again. That it wont matter, as long as they have my SS# the same thing will happen again. Its sad, but in todays world of a horrible economy, and people trying to get back on their feet, courts are forced to just sign off on anything that looks like a vaild claim AKA... Yes this is you, because its you social number. They dont have the time or man power for anything else. People act like Im crazy when I tell them about it, because they figure from the news you can fight it, you can make calls, well here is something with the first accounts I was told to call the locations the card was used at and see if I could get what was bought, where things where sent, well the thing is no company/store will give you the infomation, I was told several times as was my lawyer(s) that because its was an idenity theft case they couldn't give out information that would be breaking privacy with the person who used my name. (Talk about head banging into desk).  People seem to think that once you have a police report they have to look into it, but they often don't. I was told about one person whose Ex wife opened several cards in his name, and he was told that because they were at one time married she could. Even though I cant even call and see if the payment for our gas bill was messed up. The police I was told point blank do not have time to worry about idenity theft. 

I filed the police report and my lawyer was told point blank by the creditors lawyer that shes done thousands of these cases for this collection agency and that, while she feels for my situation all her clients care about is gettting money for the account.... and that I am a much better place to get it, then waiting for something that will never be investigated let alone find a suspect for go to trial and "hope" they can get something from them. 

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MagicTemptation
by Christina on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Do you keep up with your credit report? All this would show on there. Have you sent our dispute letters to all the claims? I know here, they have 30 days to respond to you, showing what proof they have. If they do not respond in 30 days it has to be dropped from your credit report.  Have you talked to a different lawyer? My exdh (at the time we were married) had creditors coming after him for credit cards maxed out. My exdh was 2 years old at the time the credit cards were applied for and maxed, obviously it wasn't my exdh. We sent in a report and that was the end of it. I hope you get your situation taken care of. I couldn't image the headache.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Wow!  I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you.   Good Luck with everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)