Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

I'm a little overwhelmed...

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 27 Replies

With housework.  I feel like my house is NEVER clean.  I work full time, and I spend my weekends cleaning, but it always seems like a tornado went through my house.  We always have a mountain of laundry even though I feel like my husband does laundry continuously on the weekend (I clean, he does laundry.  I hate laundry).

I hate this.  I'm a neat freak by nature and the mess is slowly eating me alive!!

How do you all keep up with housework?

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catherine_b
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
That's how it is here too. We are 6! I started letting go a while back...it won't stop us from living or make anyone sick. Plus the kids do not notice lol

Do what you can!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by Megan on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:46 AM

For a while I was trying to do it during the week while keeping up with the baby, and I was just going crazy.  I stopped trying to do it during the week because of that. 

The house isn't dirty, it's just messy.  Definitely not a health concern.  Maybe I'll pop an extra happy pill lol

Quoting catherine_b:

That's how it is here too. We are 6! I started letting go a while back...it won't stop us from living or make anyone sick. Plus the kids do not notice lol

Do what you can!

Dqnana
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you just need to relax your standards a bit.  Are you some of those folks who only use a towel ONCE?  Madness.  Do you wear a garment and immediately throw it in the hamper?  Silly.  Before you begin to clean, think about how much you REALLY need to do.  Have "10 minute cleaning parties" from time to time during the week.  6 days of that is an hour of cleaning! Work smarter, not harder. Or ... if you can afford it ... hire a cleaning lady.  Folks need the work and you will live longer because of less stress.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a system that works for me. not sure it would work for anyone else but you can try it.get up 1.5 hours before you need to leave.

wake up, shower.

Wipe down bathroom before you leave it

make bed wipe down furniture

get dressed

carry load of wash and start it

make coffee and get kids up

dress kids, make their beds,  and feed them.

drink coffee & clean up kitchen while they eat.

switch laundry

put kids infront of tv or in playpen (depending on ages)

do hair and make up.

Now bedroom and bathroom are done.

downstairs fold wash and put away.

run swiffer over kitchen and bath floors.

Now kitchen, bath, bedrooms are done.

After work

make dinner

eat

while 1 parent cleans kitchen the other parent baths the children.

pick up living room and vacuum lving room while other parents brushes kids teeth, picks out story to read.

read to kids get them to bed

fold and put away that last load of wash.

have mommy & daddy time. go to bed

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Ninjascreenname
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Time laundry. LOL. Put a load in, clean a room. Swap over to dry and add new load, clean somewhere else. That's what I do.

I have been known to set a timer and clean in spurts, 30 min here and 20 min there. You'd be amazed at how much you can get done that way.

If all else fails- remind yourself that your kids will only be little once and forget it for a little while. Don't stress. Stressing is bad.

Chakita0912
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a stay at home mom and I also feel my house is never clean. I clean all the time. The best I can tell you to do. Is make a list and go through and do it that way. Have your husband do a load of laundry everyday and you just make a list put it up on the fridge and do different colors for the week and when ever you do a task mark it off with the day of week. You will slowly notice what you do on a daily basis and if you don't feel like nothing is ever done it will show you that you do clean it may not look it, but you do something. Hope this helps.

TS9509
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I usually try to clean a room a night or do a load if laundry a night after work. I cook and DH will clean the kitchen unless I'm working a little late he will cook and clean the kitchen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ibelieveinpink
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I puck two to three major things that need done everyday. I find as long as the big things are done, like dishes and laundry, then I'm nowhere near half as crazy.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My main thing is minimalism. If we dont' use it in forever I toss it. I also don't have many decorations in our house. Why would I do this you say? Because I'd rather die than clean. Instead of a mop I have a scooba (robot). So without all the stuff thrown about and such my house looks pretty tidy even if I don't clean it for a month. ;)

My DS's toys are like that too. I put them up if he gets too many. I mean up.... So he can throw every toy he has on the floor and it wont' look that bad. Considering he DOES do that I'm happy I put a lot out of his reach. lol

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a SAHM so I'm always cleaning. I clean every day and do my big cleaning in Saturday and mop the floors, dust, wipe down all the glass stuff with windex.

How old are your kids? You could make a chore chart and assign a chore for each child and let them pick out which chore they would like to do and you can alternate the chores. You could make a chore chart so that they can mark there chores when there done and you could reward them occasionally with something. My daughter is 8 and she dusts, wipes down the tables, dishes, cleans the bathroom, her bedroom, she can run the washer and dryer. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)