Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

What do you want to work on in your relationship in 2013?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM
  • 35 Replies

A Better Marriage in 2013 IS Possible

Posted by Kristen Chase on January 3, 2013 

How to have a better marriage in 2013As much as I want to roll my eyes at people making New Year's resolutions, I'd have to roll them right back at myself because every year, with a bit of reluctance, I make them.

Maybe it's because at my core, I'm a list writer, and the crossing-off of each item gives me some sort of high. Or perhaps it's just because I like the idea of going into a new year with a set of aspirations.

But this year, instead of writing lofty goals like "work on my marriage" (because you know that's on my list), I'm breaking my resolutions down into smaller, more achievable objectives. And if you're like me and want to make changes to your own relationship in 2013, maybe you'll join me in working on crossing these off over the coming year.

1. Schedule at least one date night a month

This resolution will be much harder than it sounds because my husband's travel schedule makes it difficult to schedule anything; however, we need more time alone outside of the house. My plan is to book our sitter the second I get his schedule every month and then worry about what to do for date night later.

2. Return to therapy on a regular basis

Indeed, another casualty of our schedules and the therapist we chose (she only works on Mondays and Tuesdays) has meant that we haven't been to a marriage therapy session in awhile. That being said, even if it's just once a month, I want to be sure we've got a counseling session on the books because even the few that we attended really helped us.

3. Continue to communicate more effectively

I feel confident that my communication skills have gotten much better over the last few months, and I've definitely reaped the benefits of being more open and honest in a way that's constructive and not destructive. Hopefully, my husband will take the cue from me as well. Quite frankly, he needs a lot of work in this area and I can only do so much.

4. Take time for myself

To be a better partner, I need to have time to myself. I'm only sorry that it took me so long to listen to friends and family, heck even myself. I must have time alone! Whether it's a couple of hours getting a pedicure, or sitting quietly at a coffee shop just reading and not looking at a computer screen, then so be it.

5. Let things go, when appropriate

I'm a terrible score-keeper, partially because I have a good memory and, I'll be honest, partially because my husband doesn't apologize for things and repeats certain negative behaviors over and over. And so what happens is that the grievances pile up until they all come shooting out of me. I'm learning to address things when they happen, and not let them fester. And also discerning what's really worth getting upset about and what I should just let go. 

What do you want to work on in your relationship in 2013?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
Allright 2015, you heinous bitch. Bring it on!
Today at 5:22 PM
by Casey on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

We need to come to an understanding on several large issues. We have the same arguements over, and over, and over, and over again and have for 11 years. It needs to cease. 

SherryTWLady
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Me And my DH  needs  to  work  on having time  for  our selves and  try and  talk  about things  we need to talk about  with out others  around

Titana
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
We just need to work on our communication. :) expressing what each of us needs to the other in a healthy way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I want to plan more date nights. I think my kid's are old enough to get breaks from mommy and daddy now : )

SlightlyPerfect
Don't let people fool you. Everything they do is by design.
Today at 8:17 AM
by Slightly Perfect on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I want to communicate more about ideas.

slightlyperfect

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I would like more time to go OUT with him. We do date nights in regularly, but only go out a few times a year. The rest of the stuff mentioned, we pretty much already do.

Raveyk
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Teamwork

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Learning to communicate with out feeling judged.

Snapdragon88
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Probably communication. We're much better than we used to be but I think that's always a good area to continuously work on. When you think about it, almost all marital problems originally stem from lack of successful communication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM

The absolutely only thing we could think of is this year is the year we want to start taking ACTION on beginning to do and be able to cross off things on each of our bucket lists, which includes travel in it too. OUr first trip will be in April. : ) The one I really cant wait for and him either as its number 1 on both our lists is to swim with the dolphins, dont think we can pull that one off this year but still as soon as we possibly can.

View Full Size ImageYVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN