Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you go to the ER or wait until Monday? please dont bash me.

Posted by   + Show Post
So, I know this is my fault. When I started having lower back pain I should have went the. But I didn't and now the pain is close to unbearable. Im pretty sure, actually almost 100% positive I have a kidney infection as I have had one before that landed me in the ER about 8 years ago. I was planning on making an appt on Monday to be seen but do you think that's a bad idea to wait? I dont have any health insurance but there is a clinic here that just accepts donations. And they are okay. They are in town Tuesday and Wednesday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
SuperMom2433
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I know. :(. I thought I just pulled a muscle but there's no way. I dont have a fever and my urine is normal looking but the pain in my lower back is ridiculous.

Quoting AlannaMaria:

Girl! Get your ass the hospital!! You have been complaining about this for some time now.. That's nothing to mess with. Hope you're ok. Keep us posted!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juniebug11
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I'm pregnant but a few weeks ago my back hurt so bad I couldn't stop crying. It was a bad UTI, I couldn't even think how bad a kidney infection hurts
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I don't have a fever and my urine looks normal. Could it still be a kidney infection?

Quoting EmmaZate:

It sounds like a kidney infection to me. I have had a few as well. I've it until you can make it in, it might help alleviate some of the pain, and even if it doesn't it will slow the growth of the bacteria.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

See, I thought I pulled a muscle so that's why I was doing the heat. But it's not getting better, its way worse and its mainly in my left side of my lower back. The pain is wrapping around my hip to my left groin area. I feel like Im urinating much more than normal too. All things that happened when I had the kidney infection before.

Quoting EmmaZate:

Heat is the worst thing for an infection. Heat can make it worse faster because bacteria (the general cause of infections) grows in warm moist environments, and the more heat, the faster it grows.

While heat is great for muscle ailments, it's terrible for other conditions.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Oh okay! I've been doing heat, like warm baths, warm washcloths, ECT,. =/. Nothing has helped. Im going to go when he gets back.

Quoting EmmaZate:

When the hubbs gets back I would go, a few hours probably wouldn't do too much, but I wouldn't wait until Monday because that would definitely be too long. Also, weather you go in or wait, try to keep ice on it. Heat of any kind can make the infection worse and cause it to spread. Icing it can delay the infection spreading it. I don't recommend waiting, but if you have to, keep ice on it to keep it from getting worse.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

No, unfortunately there isn't. I def dont want to be called dumb or stupid...lol. I know what I need to do and I guess Im just trying to convince myself that Im okay to wait. Im really bad about that. Hubby is out of town for a few more hours. I dont have anyone to stay with the kids.

Quoting EmmaZate:

Is there an urgent care facility nearby that is open on the weekends? If not I would go in to the er. I wouldn't wait any longer because the fear now is the infection going septic. I wouldn't call you stupid for not going, but it's probably not the best idea to wait.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmaZate
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM
My urine never had a different look to it when I have a kidney or bladder infection. I get them almost monthly. a fever is usually a sign of infection, however you don't have to have one with an infection. Generally, a high fever and excruciating pain in the mid to lower back is a sign that the infection has gone septic or is nearing sepsis. Not having a fever could be good for you.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

I don't have a fever and my urine looks normal. Could it still be a kidney infection?

Quoting EmmaZate:

It sounds like a kidney infection to me. I have had a few as well. I've it until you can make it in, it might help alleviate some of the pain, and even if it doesn't it will slow the growth of the bacteria.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

See, I thought I pulled a muscle so that's why I was doing the heat. But it's not getting better, its way worse and its mainly in my left side of my lower back. The pain is wrapping around my hip to my left groin area. I feel like Im urinating much more than normal too. All things that happened when I had the kidney infection before.

Quoting EmmaZate:

Heat is the worst thing for an infection. Heat can make it worse faster because bacteria (the general cause of infections) grows in warm moist environments, and the more heat, the faster it grows.

While heat is great for muscle ailments, it's terrible for other conditions.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

Oh okay! I've been doing heat, like warm baths, warm washcloths, ECT,. =/. Nothing has helped. Im going to go when he gets back.

Quoting EmmaZate:

When the hubbs gets back I would go, a few hours probably wouldn't do too much, but I wouldn't wait until Monday because that would definitely be too long. Also, weather you go in or wait, try to keep ice on it. Heat of any kind can make the infection worse and cause it to spread. Icing it can delay the infection spreading it. I don't recommend waiting, but if you have to, keep ice on it to keep it from getting worse.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

No, unfortunately there isn't. I def dont want to be called dumb or stupid...lol. I know what I need to do and I guess Im just trying to convince myself that Im okay to wait. Im really bad about that. Hubby is out of town for a few more hours. I dont have anyone to stay with the kids.

Quoting EmmaZate:

Is there an urgent care facility nearby that is open on the weekends? If not I would go in to the er. I wouldn't wait any longer because the fear now is the infection going septic. I wouldn't call you stupid for not going, but it's probably not the best idea to wait.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Well, good. I hope he's home by now . By the way, ladies here aren't known to " bash" ... Confessions if where all non supportive women go to beat someone up, and women go to be beaten up, idk why.

Here, you should be decently " safe " from hate.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

I have a high pain tolerance. I would say the pain is at a 7/8. Sitting isn't bad at all. Its standing and picking up my 20lb son that kills me. I haven't done much today because of the pain. Once hubby gets home Ill make my way to the hospital though.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Well, here's the thing, none of us know how much pain you are in NOW. If you pain level is already at a seven, you won't make it till mon.

If you are at a four now, you may still be miserable by one am tomorrow night.

This is really your decision, you are the only one who knows when the pain becomes too unbearable to wait any longer. I will say, ERs are less busy between seven am and ten am for what it's worth

Aamy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Er. I had that once and it landed me in the hospital for 3 days on IV antibiotics and fluids. My kidney was starting to shut down. To this day i have issues and scarring in that kidney. Good luck. 

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Go and while you are there, have them get you the info for state insurance and those various plans. You would be surprised what you could qualify for. 

TwinmomAlicia
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Apply for charity care. All the hospitals around me do this. We have insurance but still get hit with a $200 co-pay for ER services. I call and ask for the charity care application. I fill it out, send in my husband's pay stub and last years 1040 showing number of dependents and they always send me a letter back saying I owe $0.

Quoting SuperMom2433:

I just hate the thought of another bill from the er.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

You would be dumb to wait any longer.

TwinmomAlicia
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Another thought, after reading through replies. It could be a kidney stone, in which case it may pass on its own. Excruciatingly painful, but the pain goes away once you pass it, if it is small. I have had 3 and the pain was worse than childbirth, but they all passed on their own and all the ER did was give me pain meds. So if you never spike a fever you may be ok. I was literally vomiting from the pain, and I described it as an 11 on a scale of 1-10, but instant relief once it passed.
gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM

sounds like a kidney infection, I am prone to them, I dont have typical uti symptoms, no discolored urine, no fever, no burning with urination, just terrible back pain and I know it when I feel it, dont let it go too long you need some antibiotics

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)