Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

did anyone here ever get married as a teenager???

Posted by   + Show Post

i hear alot about it but i just wanna know how that works..like are u guys happy??  how is that going for you guys?? just in case i ever get married to the father of my maybe baby lol. 

thanksss <333 

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Replies (211-220):
Freela
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I didn't get married until I was 20, but I got engaged and we moved in together when I was 18. We are still married 14 years later. We didn't have children until 4 years after we got married, so it was not a factor in our decision. We were just crazy in love, I guess! LOL!

My advice would be not to rush into things because you have a child. If you didn't have a baby with him, would you be looking to get married to him right now? If not, I wouldn't rush into it. If he's the right person, he will still be there later on when the time feels right.

It is hard getting married young because it's an age where you are facing lots of changes already. In practical terms, like education, jobs, career, etc. and in personal, emotional growth terms. Marrying young can work, but I think you both have to be willing to accept changes in your partner. You are in many ways still growing as people.... make sure to stay connected and to respect one another so you grow together instead of apart. Also, in practical terms, being married or living with someone is going to limit choices when it comes to school, employment, etc. I gave up opportunities for school because I was married and my husband had a job in a specific city so I couldn't leave that area. I had to be okay with that. Dh had to give up the opportunity to pursue a Master's Degree in another country because we was the only one working while I was in university and someone had to pay the rent. On the flip side, my cousin and his girlfriend were a couple in high school, got an education in different provinces and had a long distance relationship during that time, and married when it was all over. They are also still married over a decade later. If it's the right person, they will be there at the right time, kwim?

Anyways, that's my two cents. Marriage is a big commitment- go into it when you are ready and are convinced that it's the right person, and not a moment sooner!

mama2gg
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Well mine did not workout because I was too young, stupid and not ready to not live for myself anymore... however my BBF has been with her DH from the age of 13 they have three kids , two girls and a new born baby boy they are in there 30's and are VERY happy together this is RARE that it happens that way young love (under 20) RARELY works out in the long run

years are wasted together

ChristinaR
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

we have been together for 15 years and married for 14 years, agree, we had our ups and downs, but we stuck threw them.. idk what i would be without him.... sometimes i just wanna kick his ass to the moon and hope never returns, sometimes, i just wanna kick his ass to the moon and bACK AND SOMETIMES i just wanna kick him, but he can stay here..lol

1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

My husband and his 1st wife were married when she was in her teens. Lasted 4 LONG years (according to him) He said they got married because everyone else was doing it, so it was just the thing to do, I guess?

I would highly suggest NOT getting married because of having a child. A child can be happy, loved and spoiled without having their parents married.

Get married because BOTH of you are READY to be with each other, and ONLY each other for the REST OF YOUR LIVES. That's a very long time, so think very carefully.

Dontchawishuknu
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM
My ex and I got married when I was 19 and he was 21. We were together for 2 years and married for 15. All but the last 2 when he started cheating, I thought they were pretty good, but everyone makes mistakes...LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angeleyez81
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM

thank you

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Happy Anniversary!

Quoting Angeleyez81:

DH and I got married when I was 18 and he was 19. And no we were not pregnant. We just felt that it was the right time for us. We have had our fair share of the ups and downs but we are doing better than ever. Our 13 year wedding anniversary is this Monday 1-7-13!

teenmum16
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

wow i rele didnt expect 216 replies....lol

Autiziumom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I got married when I was 19 yrs old! I'm extremely happy to say that I'm still married and I lovee my husband very much still! Marriage is hard and its almost like a career with no payment. Marriage is sacrifice! A manner of serving one another! Not one more then the other! The only thing that has helpd us is the Lord!
mran23
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:35 AM

i was 19 when we got married it has been 10 1/2 yrs now and we are happy

NewStepAhead
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I married when I was 18.  We were married for 8 years, no kids.  He was abusive and cheated often.  I ended up divorcing him and finding the love of my life.  It didn't work for me but it might for you.  We grew in two different directions.  He was a bad choice and I was not self-confident enough to realize it.  That was my mistake though.  Your situation could be completely different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)