Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

DHs new job/schedule....

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM
  • 8 Replies
Hey y'all! Well, my DH just got a new job and so far his schedule hasn't been terrible. He was home for 3 months because of my pregnancy complications. Well, he is relocating in a week for this new job and while it is closer to where we live, he will possibly be working crazy long hours. A guy quit and another lead tech may quit which will leave my DH as the only lead tech and he will have to work 7 days a week and well over 40 hours a week. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful because it will help us financially but I am also 21 weeks pregnant and at home with two toddlers all day. Im worried this new schedule will affect mine and DHs relationship as well as his and the boys.
Does your DH work a lot? How was the adjustment for you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
swthrt737
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:31 AM
stay calm,all you need now is better moods for your well being and the baby,Congrats.
eoewan
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM

My dh works away from home. He is gone 2 to 3 months at a time and is only home for 7 days and back he goes. We've been doing this for a very long time. I basically have raised 4 kids on my own. It takes a very strong woman to stay in a committed relationship and to shoulder all the responsibility of rearing children.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I'm a military wife, I'm alone quite a bit. It doesn't bother me, you just get used to it and find other things to do.
furbabymum
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Well of course his being gone more will affect your relationship. HOW it will affect it is up to you. You can let it tear you apart or you can let it bring you closer together.

MrsApple
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely.My husband works well over 60 hours a week but due to his shift we always managed to get in some alone time in the evenings when he got home from work (11pm-12am) but just recently he had a shift change and while we get a bit more family time it seems like we have next to zero alone time.It bothers me but we make it work :) 

Quoting furbabymum:

Well of course his being gone more will affect your relationship. HOW it will affect it is up to you. You can let it tear you apart or you can let it bring you closer together.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

He can set his hours, but he can be gone for weeks at a time. I'm used to him being gone a lot and now that I'm used to it, it's pretty easy to do everything on my own.

seraphimsong
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM
My dh works a lot ( he's a firefighter so he's gone for days at a time) but its not too bad. We call each other every day and text each other throughout the day and sometimes I take the kids to see him.

He was in the Air Force before so I am use to him being gone. One time I went 16 months without seeing him! (Except for on Skype)
MagicTemptation
by Christina on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We live in Lousiana. My SO just took a job in California. He is gone for months at a time. That leaves me home with our 6 children ages 8, 8, 6, 5, 3, and 2. I have a set routine/schedule for myself and the kids. I've picked up a few hobbies to pass the time. Of course the kids and housework can keep me really busy too. He is doing something great for our family. If anything it makes the kids and I appreciate what he does for us more. And when he is home we focus on spending quality time together, rather than just being in the same room with each other doing our own things. ya know? 

Once you get a routing for you and the kids, things smooth over so much better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN