Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice/child support

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
  • 3 Replies

I need advice or info regarding child support.   H knows I am getting ready to file for divorce and says he doesn't want one, today he got home from work and said that he is probably going to be getting laid off next week...So the question is how will that affect child support?  Will it be based on his unemployment or on his regualr income?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM

It will be based on his and your income from the last year

MagicTemptation
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It honestly varies. Each state has its own rules. It is simple to do a google search for the law in your state. You can also pull up a child support calculator. 

Kes1s
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

It will all be a matter of timing.  File now if forcing him to have to fight you in court to have it adjusted is important to you.  He likely wont have the money and it will hurt his claim to joint custody, but that's the sort of thing that makes divorce ugly.

I would take the option of being patiendt, filing honestly and fairly at the time you legitimately separate households and readjust ehn he finds a new job.

If you bleed him out now, how will he ever get back on his feet to get you back on your feet later?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)