Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

my husband is smothering me with all his "rules"

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 210 Replies
2 moms liked this

first let me say that i truly love my husband and he is a wonderful father, but he has too many rules for me. I can have a part-time job, but not a career. I can have my own money, but not pay any bills even if he can't afford them. I am expected to let him be the caregiver of the house and not be able to buy my self shampoo or lady products. I have a bed time. Yes i know, that is probably the worst of all. If i'm not in bed when he's ready for bed, i've betrayed his trust. I can go to college part-time, but only as a hobby. I do not have a drivers license so the only time i can leave the house and actually go somewhere is if he is not too busy or tired to drive. He buys me chocolate sometimes, but if he buys anything else its usually only for him. Moves, video games, clothes, etc. I feel smothered. I love him, but i don't feel like he really loves me anymore. I feel like he's always trying to change me. I used to have a life, now i don't even have friends or family close by because we moved far away for him. Am I being paranoid or is he too controlling and i need to stand up for myself? How do i stand up for myself without bringing tension?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttc1rainbow
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Um...there's nothing in your post? We need a litte more to go on than your title! :p

HasNoIdea93
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

sorry i posted it now lol

TommyAbby
by Melissa on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM
12 moms liked this

WOW.. Is he controlling?!?! Seriously?? Does this sound in any way normal to you? A bedtime!! OMG, what are you 5?

Come on girl WAKE UP. That is abusive controlling. Not even slightly, completely abusive control. You need to tell him he needs to relax these "rule" or you are going to talk to a counselor and have him come along so you can find a happy medium. 

HasNoIdea93
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

He claims its because of my unusual sleep schedule and that its for my health

edelweiss23
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
3 moms liked this
He is an idiot.
It's control.
Buck the rules, tell him rules have changed and you will now do what YOU feel is best for YOU.

You have a mind of your own, use it.

I was in a controlling and abusive relationship for several years. This is how it started. Then it moved to verbal abuse, then physical, mental and emotional abuse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Angeleyez81
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

communication is the key to a marriage, you both need to find time to sit and talk to each other and for you to really let him know how you feel. Your husband should be your best friend and partner in life, not your dad who tells you what you can and cannot do. Good luck!

zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM
5 moms liked this

No, I'm sorry, you said he views it as a betrayal of trust if you don't go to bed when he does - that has nothing to do with concern for your health - he doesn't trust you to be awake when he is not (think about how insane that sounds) - that is control on the border of abuse....have you ever done anything in your relationship to make him not trust you to this level?  is he this mistrusting of people in general?

Quoting HasNoIdea93:

He claims its because of my unusual sleep schedule and that its for my health

Megan11587
by Megan on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My gosh. This is so unhealthy. You need to make this stop. Like yesterday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HasNoIdea93
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM

We do do that and its goes ok for awhile then its back to the old routine, do this do that and do it when i want it. And your right i do feel like a child, he used to make me feel like a queen. I'm trying to change myself to make him happy and in turn making myself feel well slightly more and more unhappy. 

zoo003
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
5 moms liked this

I see so many read flags when I read this post.  You asked if he was controlling and my answer would be a definite yes.  He is trying to control all areas within your life so that he can control you.  With this control, his irrational anxiety and fears of you leaving are somewhat alleviated.  Along with this, he has isolated you so that you cannot talk to anyone, thereby, increasing your dependence on him.  This is not a healthy relationship for him, you or your kid(s) to grow up in.  I would seriously look into counseling for both of you and if at any time you feel unsafe, please leave (find a women's shelter if needed).    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)