Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you ever lie to your spouse?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 26 Replies

5 White Lies It's OK to Tell Your Husband Once in a While

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on January 16, 2013

lying in a marriageIn a marriage, it's never OK to lie, right? We are supposed to be honest ALL the time. But let’s face it, there are some things we don’t want to tell him. And that’s OK. There are many things he's just better off not knowing.

For instance, has he ever asked you if something makes him look fat? If yes, then trust me, even if the answer IS yes, it's NEVER yes. Never. Always no. Repeat after me.

What about the times he wants sex and you just don’t? Do you ever say how tired you are or that you feel a little sick or that you had a long day even when none of it is true? If so, then you have lied. Admit it. We all do. Here are five lies it’s OK to tell your man once in a while:

1.) No, honey, he wasn't that cute: Picture this. You just left Les Miserables starring the adorable (handsome, sexy, large, strong) Hugh Jackman and your man is feeling a little insecure. If this were you, would you REALLY want him telling you that Amanda Seyfried is so beautiful, especially when you are rocking the top knot and J.Crew Saturday pants? I think not. He would lie to you. You should do the same.

2.) I have a headache: It’s a cliché for a reason. There are some nights sex just sounds really unappealing. But he doesn't need to hear that. All he needs to know is that he’s not getting laid for a good reason. So give him one. Even if it’s a lie.

3.) You look great: Men get insecure, too. They want to know how their shoes look with those jeans or if their button-down is too tight. Sometimes it's good to be honest. But sometimes they just want to hear they look good. Even if they don’t.

4.) I didn't notice you put on any weight at all!: Yes. We did. But there is a time and place for honesty, and when he is feeling low or bad about himself is NOT that time.

5.) It was on sale: While generally I am not one to condone lying about money and, in general, you shouldn't, men do get all bent out of shape about things they don’t get. Like, yes, some women pay $200 jeans. This shouldn't be that shocking. But for some men it is. If you tell them things are on sale, sometimes they relax. Sometimes they don’t. But, you know, that’s a discussion for another time.

Do you ever lie to your spouse?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

meh I have nothing to lie about NOTHING. lol

MissMandaz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I tell him that I didn't answer his call because I was sitting on the toilet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommybellygirl
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I might have said #1  few times and maybe #5.

AimSnapHolz
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM
2 moms liked this

We're really open with each other. He looks at other women, I look at other men (and women), and it doesn't make each other uncomfortable. If one of us doesn't want sex, we just say so. Sometimes the response is, "Okay, but I have a need for (insert physical need here), what can we do to make us both feel taken care of?" Sometimes the response is, "Okay, goodnight!" If he doesn't look good, I will tell him - and vice versa. Neither of us wants to go out in public looking like an idiot, and we care about each other enough to be honest about that. As far as "It was on sale," I spend my money how I see fit and he does the same. As long as our bills are paid it doesn't matter how much we spent on a certain item. We're both careful with money (especially now, since we don't have much of it), so it's not really an issue for us.

I'm sure there are some times when lying is appropriate, but the ones you listened really aren't worth lying about, at least not in our relationship.

mrs.hartman12
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM
#2 and #5 not ok in my book especially #5. I do not li. About money or sex.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

not about big stuff

PrincessButton
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Never, it's just not my nature. Matty and I are very open and always share our true feelings :) I love us!

wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

#5 a few times, but thats it.

littleangie
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I suck at lying. 

Ama2Gunner
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

No, I never lie to him. Lying breaks trust. And these are stupid things to lie about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)