Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

When are u going to stop nursing honey!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a 4 month old son who is nursed and my husband wants to know when will he be off the boob? I told him a yr old.. What do u ladies think? 

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Replies (81-90):
Newmom.com12
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

What kind of pump do you have? I have Tommie tippie and its not a great pump!! I pump when we are going out for the day or if I have to leave him for a few hrs. One day I have full breast next day they are so so but his weight says he's getting enough milk he's 4 months and weighs 18lbs

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

im pumping & nursing 4 my 3 month old dd & hubby knows ill stop @ 1 or when my body says its had enough. i stopped @ 10 month with my son bc my body just couldnt handle pumping anymore

PROGENITOR
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Minimum 2 yrs. That is the minimum recommended by the WHO.

PROGENITOR
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I think I've read through all the replies. What do I think?

See my above reply. It is natural for a human to nurse until about age 2. Babies under age 1 do not wean themselves. They may go on nursing strikes. Not the same, but lack of proper information often means that it gets mistaken for self weaning. Self weaning is something that happens closer to 2.

It helps to be successful with nursing when you have a spouse (or partner) who understands that nursing is best for his child. I don't understand the whole jealousy and claims laid on the boobies. Why does one have to lay a claim? They were your DHs (general your and you) and now their are your child's? My boobs have always been mine. And neither my children, nor my DH has ever been denied because of the other. I wouldn't tell my DH, now that I'm a mom to your kid you don't get to enjoy me the way you did before. just as I wouldn't tell my kid, those are dad's breasts to play with you have to have formula.  IDK. It all seems really silly to me. Pregnancy and motherhood have never interferred with me and DH as a romantic couple. kwim?

It is your choice. Your body. You could quit today. But whatever you decide please make sure your decision is educated and well informed.

Newmom.com12
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I didn't say I was stopping... My son will b nursed until he is 1 yrs old and his father understands now why 

sydjademom24
by Rachel J on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It just depends on you and the baby. With my first I did a year. Second and third I did for 6 months. But they took formula very well. If they wouldn't have, I would have kept bf'ing. A lot of mom's extended bf...to 2 or 3 years, so I think 1 year is very reasonable.

lish2127
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I've nursed all 3 of mine until 2yrs old. It doesn't have to mean the breasts are off limits! I know in the beginning they can be sensitive to touch, but give it a little time and it shouldn't be a problem.

-mrs.mamma-
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I would honestly say, "a year, MINIMUM". 2 years is even better!!

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM

medela pump in style tote love it.that is a big boy. my dd is 3 months & just about 12 pounds.

Quoting Newmom.com12:

What kind of pump do you have? I have Tommie tippie and its not a great pump!! I pump when we are going out for the day or if I have to leave him for a few hrs. One day I have full breast next day they are so so but his weight says he's getting enough milk he's 4 months and weighs 18lbs

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

im pumping & nursing 4 my 3 month old dd & hubby knows ill stop @ 1 or when my body says its had enough. i stopped @ 10 month with my son bc my body just couldnt handle pumping anymore

mrsfitz05
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

that's entirely up to you. I'm still nursing my 15 month old. But you have to understand that as they get older it gets less all consuming. My guess is this is less about the nursing and more about the time consumption that the baby has right now. He just has to understand that for now, baby comes first.

However, maybe it would help to take some time just the 2 of you - even just after baby is asleep if you aren't ready to leave him.

itextndrive
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM

i think you need to give those boobs back to big daddy....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)