Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Filed our taxes and Im so disappointed.

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 92 Replies
I work as a book keeper at my fil's/hubbys shop. I've been doing it for a couple of years now and have asked my fil many times to be put as an employee instead of "temp help". Well, his laziness is costing us $738 to the state. Smh. We are only getting back $1166. Im so disappointed. I wanted to get plane tickets to surprise my mom for mothers day and I wanted to replace the carpet in our trailer. I also wanted to get a dishwasher. Bills come first so whatever is leftover after paying the state is going to bills. Im sad but things could be worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM
4 moms liked this
Only $1166? Sorry, but a lot of people aren't going to have sympathy for you. Some don't get any back at all. These are the kinds of posts that get ripped to shreds every Jan-March-ish.

Not trying to be snarky, just being honest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Nice going FIL. Sorry to hear that.
SuperMom2433
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Oh we have been there where we owed and got not a penny. I understand that. This is just a vent. Im not asking for comparison or sympathy. Just venting.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Only $1166? Sorry, but a lot of people aren't going to have sympathy for you. Some don't get any back at all. These are the kinds of posts that get ripped to shreds every Jan-March-ish.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM
He's an idiot.

Quoting Kaybean:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I wonder if maybe he gets tax breaks if he puts you as temp help? I have no idea about that kind of stuff so I could totally not know what I'm talking about, but your DH needs to get on his dad's case and tell him how much that ended up costing you!

Quoting SuperMom2433:

He's an idiot.

Quoting Kaybean:

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Sorry, she's right.... We had to pay in last year due to a book keeper's error, and this year, we'll be lucky to break even.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

SuperMom2433
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM
I know he doesn't have to pay taxes on me as an employee if Im temp help but geez...
I did the math. $700 divided by 52 (weeks in a year) is $13.50/week. Its ridiculous he cant just add me as an employee. Im going to talk to my fil about the shop paying for that because in all reality its his fault that I owe that. We shall see how that goes over.

Quoting Kaybean:

I wonder if maybe he gets tax breaks if he puts you as temp help? I have no idea about that kind of stuff so I could totally not know what I'm talking about, but your DH needs to get on his dad's case and tell him how much that ended up costing you!

Quoting SuperMom2433:

He's an idiot.

Quoting Kaybean:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Like I said in my reply, I understand that. I didn't post this as comparison or to get sympathy. And at the end of my post I did say it could be worse. I was just venting about my situation.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Sorry, she's right.... We had to pay in last year due to a book keeper's error, and this year, we'll be lucky to break even.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anryan
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM

you could also file your federal taxes seperately from your state taxes and then when you do your state taxes set up a payment plan with the state of colorado.  Dunno if it will get more money in your pocket or not, but if nothing else maybe paying a little a month (mom pays $25 a month) may do you more good then a huge lump sum like that....

Hugs!!!

SuperMom2433
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Ohhh wow! I didn't know that. They are already filed so no going back now but Im going to find some info on payments. I didn't know they did that.

Quoting Anryan:

you could also file your federal taxes seperately from your state taxes and then when you do your state taxes set up a payment plan with the state of colorado.  Dunno if it will get more money in your pocket or not, but if nothing else maybe paying a little a month (mom pays $25 a month) may do you more good then a huge lump sum like that....

Hugs!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN