Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

how far would you go to make a better life for you and your kids??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 28 Replies
ok so the past few years have just gone completely down hill for us, i got divorced after being abused mentally and physically for 2 years and since doing that he went home to mexico and left me alone with our 3 children. things were ok at first, me and my kids lived with my sister, i was working for the first time since i was 15, ( my ex let me be a SAHM) and i met someone great. i was eventually able to get an apartment for me and kids, i got remarried to the greatest man ever and then things went down hill fast, first my husbands visa expired, hes native of dominican republic, and we took to long to to renew it and he had to go back, then i got laid off from my job and had to move in with my parents in a different town. my dh wont be able to return for probably 6 months, our savings are gone and there are no jobs here. im depressed, me and my kids miss my dh dearly, and with income taxes coming, ty Lord for those, i was planning on using them to get our own place but then if i still cant find a job, im screwed. my dh and i were thinking maybe i could use my taxes and me and my kids go to the dom. republic and stay there. there we have a house, i will have a job ( yea, i cant get a job in my country but another country i get one on the spot). we will all be together, and finally be stable again. i know we cant be any worse off than we are now, here i have no job, no house, there ill have great job, and our own house. no brainer right? me and my kids are fluent in spanish, and ive been there before, its nice there. so i know my kids will be fine, but even better, we can take care of them the way they deserve. i would do anything for my kids to be taken care of. and if that means living in the caribbean for a while, then so be it, right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
Allright 2015, you heinous bitch. Bring it on!
Today at 5:22 PM
by Casey on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Uhhhhhhh, no. No. No, no, no. Different country, different laws, different rules, different poverty levels.

Can I ask what it is specifically about men who aren't American citizens that attracts you to them? From your description it just sounds like a pattern. 

AlannaMaria
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM
3 moms liked this
If your ok with it & your children are and you have more there and your husband then I would go. It doesn't have to be a forever thing! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
Allright 2015, you heinous bitch. Bring it on!
Today at 5:22 PM
by Casey on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM

But if she takes her kids to another country, and this marriage goes wrong or becomes abusive as well, there is a chance that she may never get her kids back to the US with her if she were to try to go. Other countries are very, very different from the US and you don't realize just how much until you get in trouble there.

Quoting AlannaMaria:

If your ok with it & your children are and you have more there and your husband then I would go. It doesn't have to be a forever thing! Good luck!

momofthree431
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this
laws in the d.r are almost the same if not better than our laws here, and yes the d.r has a higher poverty level the america, however, their poverty level are people who are uneducated, i and my husband are not uneducated. also, it is not the fact that they are foreign that attracts me, my first husband was here LEGALLY as were his parents, he went home to mexico during our divorce cause hes a coward, and my new husband, also here LEGALLY, we just took too long renewing his paperwork, and i am attracted to them as hispanics, because i myself am hispanic. also, just because my first husband was abusive, i cant live in fear thinking my current dh will be too.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Uhhhhhhh, no. No. No, no, no. Different country, different laws, different rules, different poverty levels.

Can I ask what it is specifically about men who aren't American citizens that attracts you to them? From your description it just sounds like a pattern. 

briebaby123
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

As a mother, you do what you think is best.
And you have to put the kids ahead of yourself. Will you be happy there? Will they be taken care of? Safe? Fed? Loved?
Is he as serious about the marriage as you are??

If you can answer all of these postively, then good luck to you :D

momofthree431
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
without i doubt i can say that my kids will be very well taken care of there, and will be in a loving environment, cared for, fed, loved and safe and a good education, and its more my husband that wants us there so we are all together, its all of this that makes me want to go more :)

Quoting briebaby123:

As a mother, you do what you think is best.
And you have to put the kids ahead of yourself. Will you be happy there? Will they be taken care of? Safe? Fed? Loved?
Is he as serious about the marriage as you are??

If you can answer all of these postively, then good luck to you :D

furbabymum
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

How old are your kids and what do they think?

pittymama
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

are your kids ok with it? i say if you all think AS A WHOLE FAMILY it's the right move, then i say do it.

momofthree431
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM
my kids are ages 5,7 and 8, and they absolutely LOVE the idea, they understand they wont be able to see my mom or sister or my niece for a while, except on webcam, they understand they will be at a new school, and they are ok with it all, they are very excited, i made sure to speak with each of them privately about this, i know they have a say and they need to feel comfortable with this MAJOR desicion, and they are
somuchlove4U
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I say go! Having the family together is more important and moving would do that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN